I Forge Iron

Used hammer refurb

Seth miracle

So I picked this 3lb hammer up today at the local flea market and I need some help. I put a new handle in it and took down the mushrooming and indentions down with a flap wheel. Now should do any heat treatment to the faces and if so what should be done to it? Any and all comments would be appreciated!

post-45226-0-15252800-1378585506_thumb.j

post-45226-0-11913400-1378585546_thumb.j

Bit late to heat treat it if you have rehandled it. If its a hammer of moddern make it will be a bit softer than ideal (note the "mushrooming") but serviceable. You might consider profiling one end. You could radius it either in line with the handle or acros from the handle or both. Makes for a more versatile hammer.

Heat it to red and quench to harden. You will need to then heat it, to temper it so it doesn't shatter. Realy, unless its dead soft, like a hammer ment to drive stone carving tools I'd just go ahead and use it. Other wise you have to strip out the handle, normalize it, do way ever cold work you want. Then reharden and temper.

An old timey hardness test is a file test. A new file will not cut fully hardened steel; it will just skate across the surface. A tempered hammer head will file "with reluctance." I borrowed the reluctance bit from Wallace Gusler's movie, "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg."

Sayings and Cornpone

"The drowning man is not troubled by rain."

Old Persian proverb

One of my favorite hammers is an old MOD hammer used for dressing stone with chisles. It had a curve along the hammer head arc axis that I suppose was meant to compensate for the arc of the swing and make the hammer face strike the chisel square. I reforged it straight with straight peen but left it untreated as it came out of the fire, basically normalized. Back when I re-purposed this hammer I was doing some forging at public events and wanted a relatively soft hammer to assure that a shard would not come off of the hammer and injure a spectator. The file test confirmed that it was only modreately hardened, probably a result of the alloy rather than any thing that I did. The hammer has served me well over the years I just dress it occasionally. However if you are polished anvil sort of smith I doubt that it would meet your needs.

Some times a soft hammer is a good thing to have. I suspect that since your hammer was mushroomed that it was originally used for stone work and had never intended as a hard face hammer. If it had been hardened it would most likely had chipped edges rather than mushrommed. I would use it for a while before doing any thing.