I Forge Iron

Mexican rebar

If you want metal to make knives and tooling from; automotive coil springs can usually be found cheap or free and are a MUCH superior metal to rebar.  (I get mine free or for 20 cents a pound at the scrap yard.  When my mechanic doesn't try to load me down with a pickup load for free)

I work in Mexico 5 days a week and I would be GREATLY surprised if there was only a single source for rebar!

I know this has probably been beat to death, but would regular ole rebar be sufficient to use for decorative items like wall hangers, draw/cabinet handles, and the like?  Nothing really weight bearing or structural, just decorative items.

It can be but it is hard to work with.  It takes about twice the work to forge as opposed to regular steel. 

I have to strongly agree with Tim here.  Until you get into heavy bar or tool steels steel is CHEAP.  You can buy a 20' length of 3/8" round for less than $10. The predictability is well worth the small cost.  Do you want to spend a couple of hours making something and then have it break because you wanted to save 50cents on material.

If you don't know where to find steel locally join your local ABANA chapter, not only will you learn lots at the meetings but you can ask local people which steelyards are open on Saturdays and small customer friendly or which fab shops will sell you drops or full lengths at a reasonable price.  Chances are there are professional smiths in the group who will sell you steel if there are no local steelyards open when you are available.  If you are buying from a local smith or fab shop pay CASH and don't be a nuisance be prepared to cut the bar in half yourself, even if they mark it up a little they are not really making any money on the deal if it takes them any time. If it takes a bunch of time they are LOSING money. 

When I worked for someone else and I needed steel midweek I used to leave work at 4:30 and as long as traffic was OK I could make it to the steel yard 15 minutes before they closed.  If I needed them to make a bunch of cuts I would pay and then pick the steel up the next day after work.  Many steelyards open at 7am so you may be able to go before work.

I have to strongly agree with Tim here.  Until you get into heavy bar or tool steels steel is CHEAP.  You can buy a 20' length of 3/8" round for less than $10. The predictability is well worth the small cost.  Do you want to spend a couple of hours making something and then have it break because you wanted to save 50cents on material.

If you don't know where to find steel locally join your local ABANA chapter, not only will you learn lots at the meetings but you can ask local people which steelyards are open on Saturdays and small customer friendly or which fab shops will sell you drops or full lengths at a reasonable price.  Chances are there are professional smiths in the group who will sell you steel if there are no local steelyards open when you are available.  If you are buying from a local smith or fab shop pay CASH and don't be a nuisance be prepared to cut the bar in half yourself, even if they mark it up a little they are not really making any money on the deal if it takes them any time. If it takes a bunch of time they are LOSING money. 

When I worked for someone else and I needed steel midweek I used to leave work at 4:30 and as long as traffic was OK I could make it to the steel yard 15 minutes before they closed.  If I needed them to make a bunch of cuts I would pay and then pick the steel up the next day after work.  Many steelyards open at 7am so you may be able to go before work.

Thanks for the advise.  I work nights, and I'm off duty some during the week, so this isn't really a problem.  Just doing a quick 'net search yielded a couple of metal suppliers in my area. 

At a metal supplier it is worth paying them to cut the 20' bar in half for transport.  Some will cut a bar in half for free some will charge a couple of bucks.  Try out the different suppliers over time to find one that is a good fit.  You should make sure the one you are going to either does not have a minimum charge or it is reasonable.