I Forge Iron

Steel suppliers in the Kentucky,WVa and Va area help?

Ok guys, we live in Eastern,Ky..Our two local steel suppliers are killing us..We just paid $15 for a 12' stick of 5/16" square :angry:  Some stuff is reasonable but a lot isn't. Notably square bar..Im looking for a place within driving distance of Easter,Ky. Kentucky,western WVA and southwest Virginia that I can pick up a big load and save money..We are paying far too much here..They don't carry any square stock in inventory and the simplest things lie 1/4" round bar have to be ordered. When we have to order steel like the square bar they are killing us..$15 for  a12' stick of 5/16" square is just ridiculous I think.

How much can you order at a time?  

Like other products, there are end users, sellers, whole sellers, distributors, and BIG VOLUME  distribution points. If you order enough you can go directly to the mill.

Like Thomas said, find someone that you can partner with to get a bigger discount.

There is Sandusky Steel in Columbia KY. It is so much more than just new steel, they have all sorts of used steel bits and pieces sold by the pound.  I think you will find pretty much what you want in inventory, They have a very large selection of hot rolled, cold formed, plate, tube and usually have some really good clearance stock. Last time I was there they had a bunch of cold formed square and round as clearance.

An interesting thing is: if you want a short piece of  something they will cut you what you want and you don't have to buy a 12' or 20' length.  

If you decide to visit, plan on spending a few hours looking around the place. They have buildings full of misc. fasteners, motors, gears, and fittings.

Disney land for metal junkies...

I think they are very reasonable, but I don't really have anything to compare them to. I know I bought misc 1/8th plate pieces for 50 cents a pound. Nuts, bolts, and the misc stuff runs 50 cents a pound. 

If you give me a list of pieces you are looking for, I can run by there next week and get some prices. Any excuse to wander around because I know I need something they have.

Consider Sandusky Sales wholesale steel here in Columbia. It's a far drive, but it would be worth it if you picked up a big load.

New 3/8 round 20 feet is around $6.30 a bar.
1/4 - inch square is only available in 12' lengths and costs $4.40 a stick.
5/16 round, 20 feet $4.85.
1/4 x 1 flat 20 feet, $10.45.
I think they stock every size of bar stock up to about 1-inch or 1.25-inch in mild steel . They can order bigger stuff too.

They also have large selections of "scrap" pipe and plate. Pipe is .35 per pound and plate is .25 a pound. They stock I-beam, channel, plate, sheet, pipe, 4140 and 1045 in round stock, stainless stock and plate, aluminum stock and plate, steel bar grating, expanded metal, and rebar. They also have tons of misc bolts, drive chains, gears, old casters, tons of 3-phase motors, and stuff.

They will torch cut stock stuff down to a handlable size free of charge. They also offer shear and band saw services at $15 minimum shear and $10 minimum saw.

I've never had to have them order anything. They stay well stocked! No minimum order either!

Phone number: 270-384-4716
I'll be happy to meet you up there and show you around! Customer service can leave something to be desired sometimes.

Btw Sandusky Sales is the same as Sandusky steel.

Last year when I went to Sandusky they were very low on salvage stock.

Dave and Rusty Anchor, how is the salvage yard now?

That was the worst salvage stock that I had seen there.  Hopefully they are getting more now.  I have always paid $.25 a pound there.

If they have a good supply I'm about ready to go again.

Last year when I went to Sandusky they were very low on salvage stock.
Dave and Rusty Anchor, how is the salvage yard now?
That was the worst salvage stock that I had seen there.  Hopefully they are getting more now.  I have always paid $.25 a pound there.
If they have a good supply I'm about ready to go again.

No luck on the scrap sections. It's been very sparce for a couple years now. The guys in the office said it just quit coming.
They do also have some bar stock in "cheep stuff." Typically just rusty stuff. 20 foot of 3/8 round = $3.20, of 5/8 square = $8.00. Basically half the norm price. They usually have small bar stock in the "cheep stuff."

Let me know when you are up here next Wayne.....I'll try to not be sick this time. :)