I Forge Iron

Wrought iron beginner's projects

Afternoon everyone!

I have started to accumulate a small amount of wrought iron, and i would like to start playing with it.  Problem is, I've never worked wrought iron before, and I don't want to ruin what little I have.  What are some projects that are low-risk for the iron, but give me a better understanding of its personality?

Try to stick with projects that are roughly the same size and shape of the stock that you have.  Keep round stock round and flat stock flat.  Other than that, it's rather easy to work the stuff as long as you keep it at the right temperature.  The quality of the WI that you have will determine how it works, but WI likes to be worked at a yellow heat, almost welding hot.  

If you have a thin wagon wheel, it makes a great back piece for a wall-mounted plant/lantern hanger.  Flare the ends, maybe do a scroll, and mount the horizontal part with rivets.  A soak in vinegar will etch the iron to show the grain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
post-42293-0-77822700-1381339462_thumb.jThe early tomahawks were often wrought iron. Take a flat piece about 1-2 inches wide and a quarter inch thick. Fold it over leaving an eye for the handle. Forge weld the 2 sides then shape it as you'd like. Lastly drift the eye for the handle.

WI is great to work! Feels a bit spongy under the hammer. If it starts to fall apart from forging at to low a temp just weld it back together. It IS that easy. The other day I was playing with a bit, testing out a new cutter. I cut a slit along one edge of flat bar, then I would forge weld it back together. I did that couple times then I folded it over on itself because I was loosing thickness. Then I started a knife blank out of it with spring steel let into one edge to use as the cutting edge. Have fun!