I Forge Iron

New tool in the arsenal! Guillotine tool

So having just recently aquired a decent sized anvil, I need to tool up, I have never had an anvil large enough to really support one of these, so this was the first tool a made. I saw Bill Epps use one of these in his video and I really liked the concept! I know it is not a forged tool, but it is a tool none the less!

post-39902-0-35324500-1376366964_thumb.j

post-39902-0-84963200-1376366999_thumb.j

Very good work.  I sure wish I could weld so nicely!

A lot of my hardy stems are made without a forge because I can't justify the time and fuel used to draw down stock that doesn't really need to be worked so much.  With few exceptions, hardy tools are subject to compression, not shear or torque, so a stem made from heavy stock isn't really needed.  

I take a length of 1/4" round stock and bend it into a U shape - the width of the U is such that is slips snugly into the opposing corners of the hardy hole and prevents twisting.  Weld the ends of the legs to the underside of the swage to form a loop and you're golden. Also makes it nice if I want to hang the tool on a peg.

No heat needed at all and plenty strong enough.

Thanks guys! Jgirard, I do have a post vise, a couple actually but I love making things, more or less because when I make it I can make it exactly how I want it and I do jot have to try and adapt an older tool or even a new tool for the purpose I intended. That being said I will check out that post vise and see if I cannot make one! I may make a BIG BOY just for oppose and giggles. Vaughn, thanks for the welding compliment it almost made me blush haha, but seriously I never even thought about making a loop out of smaller round stock, that sounds like a great way to go! How does it hold up to bending forks?

And yes please use the term "hardy stem" or variant as I was at first wondering why you would weld a hardy to the bottom of it...

I've seen a mort of these made for use in the postvise by using a piece of angle iron for the base with the other leg going down.

I made a swing arm fuller that is probably one of the most heavily used tools in my shop after the anvils and hammers

Sorry for the confusion Thomas, I should have made myself more clear, I just didn't know what the best way to term it would be. I am kicking myself now after Jgirard mentioned those smithing magicians, they seem to have way more versatility than the tool I made, so it looks like I will be back in the fab shop soon to make a smithing magician! I can seen though how much tools like these will/can be used in the shop, when it is just you working in the shop.

"How does it hold up to bending forks?"  To be honest, Nank, that's one I haven't tried.  With the quality of my welding, I opted to make an adjustable bending fork for my vise instead.  This way the jaws of the vise support my welds, and I can adjust the gap for different sizes of stock.

AdjTurningForks.jpg

I don't think a loop stem on a hardy-mounted fork would be a problem, though, as long as the metal being worked is hot and your welds are good.  Basically, the face of the anvil and the base of the swage will act as the jaws of a pair of scissors: the base of the swage/forks will want to twist on the face of the anvil.  If your welds are good, the shear force applied to the weld won't have a chance!

Looking at your guillotine tool, I can see a lot of modifications you can do to it to make it more functional for you.  The upper arm can be swapped for other arms that have a different profile.  The upright portion needs to be drilled to allow for variations in the thickness of the stock being worked.  And the lower arm could have a saddle built for it so that you can change the function. 

Easy for me to have ideas when someone else is doing all the work!   :D

Thanks gents! And winddancer, I pan on doing that, I had to take another look at the one I copied this after and you can see that the holes are feathered out a little more. And vaughn, I hope to make some adapters for it as I go along and see what I am going to need, right now I am just working on some outside flower pot hangers so it seems to be doing what I need it to do for this project, but I may need to change every thing for the next project that comes along, you never can tell

Nank: I don't know what you call that particular tool but guillotine isn't it. Not that that matters but . . .

Those have advantages guillotines don't, in large they drive into the piece being fullered down at an angle rather that straight in so there's a leverage advantage. It's sort of like a curved blade as compared to a straight blade. another configuration for this type tool is a hammer driven shear. Curve the blades, set them so they pass and grind them with obtuse single bevel edges and you can shear through steel easily and precisely.

If you weld the stem at the hinge end it'll place the center of the hammer blows more closely over the center of the anvil giving you more mass under the blows for more effect.

We all understand being able to make your own tools as you like them and few things are as satisfying as using tools you've made with your own hands.

Frosty The Lucky.