I Forge Iron

Beginner looking for guidance...

I recently discovered that my great grandfather was a blacksmith. This led me to discover his old tools in our basement. An anvil (rusty), and old blower (busted), a fire pot (also rusty), and an Indian chief pole vise. I'm interested in putting theses bits of family history to use, I'm just not sure how to go about cleaning off the rust without damaging them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, any ideas on an inexpensive way to build a compact forge using the fire pot I have? I'm thinking steel table maybe? Again thanks. Looking forward to learning this amazing trade.

Pictures would help us identify the degree of rust, as well as the type of fire pot. Is the blower truly broken or just non functional? Some times rust and dried up oil have renders it nonfunctional but repairable.
Another good idea is to put your location on your profile. Just might have some one with in half an hour of you who can help you hands on.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Posting some pics will really be helpful, if we can get a gander we can be more helpful. As Charles says the blower may not be broken, just jammed up. In addition to what he suggests as possible problems there are all kinds of nests can be built in them ad kids, don't forget kids and how they love putting stuff in things. A blower makes a really neatO rattling sound if you give it a good crank and drop pebbles in.

No problem making a forge with a fire pot, most times finding a fire pot is the hard part, you have it and a blower. You're golden on that score.

How many hammers, tongs, hardy tools, etc. are there? The vise is commonly called a post or leg vise, I have two Indian Chiefs and they're excellent vises.

Do you have any smithing books? While most or more of the information in books can be found here there's a positive effect to having one to take out to the shop or put on the toilet tank, etc. A good spot to start reading is right here on IFI, pull up a comfy chair, pack a lunch and something to drink, just skimming IFI can take days. At any rate the sections are laid out by name, pick what interests you and have a read.

That may sound a little callous but like so many professions blacksmithing not only has it's own language but it's own culture, trying to just jump is isn't the easiest way to learn the craft. you actually need a base of knowledge to ask good questions let alone understand the answers. It's not like you have to learn it all, just get a little handle on what you're wanting to do so we can talk without spending all our time explaining what we said or why your question makes no sense. don't worry though, even guys who've been practicing the craft for decades say things that make no sense at all. Of course those Kodak moments are half the fun around here. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys. I'll try to post some pictures today. As far as tongs and hammers go that's where I fall short. I have one pair of tongs that I bought. Not sure the type. I'll post pictures of them as well. I've order a book entitled "a blacksmithing primer. It should arrive this week. I'll definitely be reading an absorbing all I can from this site. Thanks for the great tips already. I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say when I get the pictures put up.

Looks like you are just about all set. Congrats.

One of my 1st projects was making up some tongs. I'm still trying to perfect the method, but the ones I made are at least serviceable for the time being. As mentioned there are some decent inexpensive alternatives that you can use to make your own, or invest in one or two commercial pairs to get you started. I've got way more than a couple of tongs invested in my firepot and blower alone, not to mention a nice anvil like that.

Well, looks like some one set up house in your blower. I bet with cleanup and oil you'll be in business.
The degre if rust is really of no consternation, fire in the pot and hot iron on the anvil will take care if most of it.
Fix the blower, mount the fire pot, mount the blower and you're good.
The "tonges" are actually pull offs, for pulling horseshoes off. Work great for pulling nailed too. I'd keep them for wood working when your trying to pull nails, they can be re forged to make tonges, but you might want to just start from scratch.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid the tongs weren't right after seeing pictures online. Do any of you know what type of anvil or blower these are? Or how I could find out? The blower is mounted to an old Westinghouse motor from the 20's or 30's.