I Forge Iron

Hay Budden / Hercules ??

alright I've been through the site search engine..............

I've come across a 150lb Hercules wrought by Hay Budden (apparently) that may be of interest

information is limited on the internet at best other than a friend of mine saying it was a "hardware line" of anvil production from HB.....

is there anywhere else to find some info or does anyone here have any insight on them ?

good bad ugly info , anything is appreciated , thanks

I also have a Hercules that I believe was made by Hay Budden.  It looks exactly like a Hay Budden and my copy of Postman's book mentions that Hay Budden made some Hercules branded anvils.  That's the extent of my knowledge.  Wish I knew more myself about Hercules anvils.

Hello, Yes your Hercules anvil in the pictures was certainly made by Hay-Budden. The stamp at the waist under the horn and ser# on the right front foot confirm it. Sorry, I do not have any other information about who or where the hardware company was that used this brand name. If I come across something I'll let you know.

That's a dead sexy anvil!  I don't know if it's the narrow waist accentuating the lines, but that horn is really impressive.  The little bit of belly, that gentle curve on the underside... I bet she turns a fine loop!

Congratulations on a wonderful find.  She's a perfect size, and in immaculate condition; no doubt she'll serve well for the next few hundred years....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I am an amateur smith, and, I volunteer at the Sandy (Oregon) Historical Museum.  I am trying to document our blacksmith collection.  We have a Hercules anvil (marked Hercules OLD .....).  The anvil appears to be in the range of 100 - 140 lbs (it is fastened down and on display) and the word(s) following "OLD" are covered by weld marks.  Any help (date of manufacture, location of manufacture, HB, I suppose, but would like to find out the model, anything else).  Thanks loads.  Gary