I Forge Iron

Next all-metal forged knife

TheoRockNazz

Still trying to find a more comfortable all-metal handle style. This one's getting there, my uncle described the twist as "ergonomic" , but I've noticed shifting the hand down for chopping could use some refinement (I accidentally made those curled spikes razor sharp). 

1095, edge hardened.

Comments and critique appreciated - still looking for that dream all metal shape,

Theo

PS: my twisting has been a bit off with this thinner metal (~3/16), any advice on that would really help.

post-25471-0-38735000-1373209983_thumb.j

post-25471-0-61096500-1373210006_thumb.j

I saw a thread where sam made an all metal sword where he rolled the handle, kind of like a socket. It looked really nice and comfortable. More unique than the standard twist. I can't help you with twisting thin metal, every time I try I have the same problem. :P

Try twisting the other way, like wrapping it around a pipe to form a tube.

You could also try to make the tang super long, then turn it 90*. With a half round spacer on either side of the tang, flat wrap the metal around the spacer and the tang until you get back to the blade. Then remove the spacers. How you terminate the wrap would be up to you.  The handle would touch the tang top and bottom for the full length of the tang and should give the support you need during use.

You could make each wrap touch or not touch the following wrap depending on the look you want. Consider a left wrap or a right wrap depending on the way the user grips the handle.

If you want to get really fancy, you could return the wrap back to the end of the handle forming a hand guard.

A lot of the time if a twist lacks uniformity it is due to the heat not being uniform or the steel not being of uniform thickness. since your twist is tighter in the center farther from the vise I would think maybe the vise took some of your heat and it also looks in the picture like the metal may be thinner in the tighter part of the twist. So perhaps both problems. Often if these problems look likely to occure the smith will cool part of the twist to control what happens. The normal method is pouring water on the hot steel, you might want to try it on the knife steel that you have not spent much time forging. I would expect if you do not get too carried away (do not cool below dull red) this should work fine.