I Forge Iron

My PR bottle openers...

Black Frog

When I want to make a nice impression on a new salvage yard owner, or a good place to find scrap treasures, I introduce myself and mention that I really enjoy blacksmithing and ironwork. Once we get talking about things I'm looking for or what I'd like to buy is when I pull out a little forged 'something' to give them and so that they will remember me next time.

Seems this has worked like a charm for me thus far in making great contacts (and deals) so tonight I made up some giveaway PR bottle openers with my new stamp prominently on them, far from perfect and not cleanly done but plenty fine to make a great impression.  They are about 5.5" long, and have a nice, heavy, beefy fell to them.  Manly openers... ;)

As an experiment in learning, for some of these I started with 1/2" bar and upset the end with several heats to around 5/8" then tapered down from there. The other ones I started with 3/4" bar reduced to 5/8" and tapered down.  I think I like the upsetting method better than moving all the metal from the 3/4" bar.  Always learning as I go...

BFopeners.jpg

Good PR Frogman! I like the little knob end but think maybe a little hook thingy to open pop tops might be nice. Don't want people thinking you're prejudiced against cans do you?

I need to come up with a touch mark I guess. Hmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Frogman,

No good .. No good at all ...  You must bring your openers up to my shop for a road test on a  few brews and discuss your design..   I'm sure it will take a few days...   A lady blacksmith friend showed my a trick with a steel yard stick to open bottles...  Quick placement and a back kick ..  Its fun and it makes you want to open many.

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Quality control is crucial to what we do. I used to be pretty good about not beer drinking but each of these openers must be tested multiple times and work just as well when the user has had 1 beer or 10. It's a tough job.

That is one of my requirements, that every bottle opener be quality control test functioned for proper operation.
Not one opener has ever left my place without being tested first. My rule. ;)

JIm, If I'm ever in MI I'll bring one along and come find you and we can test drive one on a few beers. ;)

Maybe I'll add a little tab on the end of the opener for cans- Frosty thanks for the idea! Might be a nice touch.
Gotta make sure enough meat is left out on the end for making that new tab, and still having it look right.

dcraven- This started as 1/2" square bar, upset the end to about 5/8", then taper down to where you're going to slit/drift the hole. I flatten out an area for where the hole goes. Drifted to about 3/4" and then forge the rim to your liking on the horn. I forge the rim to get the width and thickness about right and leaving around a 7/8"-1" hole by the time I'm done tweaking. Just don't get it too thin out on the end- no wimpy openers! After you get your rim shape and thickness to where you like it, then add the cap catch that protrudes the metal into the hole. I use a large round fullering tool.

Of course by adding a can tab to the bottle opener that will then double my quality control method for each opener.....

BFopeners2.jpg

Second attempt at these bottle openers this morning.  I have a bunch of 1/2" square 8" lengths of original old wrought iron from some fencing being salvaged, so I thought I'd like to try a little nicer version of the bottle opener with real wrought iron since I've never worked it before.

I upset the 8" bar down to about 5.5", and then tapered from there.  I decided to give these some life by adding a gentle curve to the handle, and a functional curve to the opener itself.    These are bigger, longer and heavier than the previous ones.  They are a full 6+" long and the fat end is around 3/4" after upsetting.  The functional curve to the opener end works great. More handle torque and a better "engagement" onto the bottle cap for opening.

I really liked the second try at these, but I put more time into them too.  I don't consider these new ones the "giveaway" openers at this point, too much time and valuable material into these.

I didn't add the can opener tab to these, opening cans is beneath a fancy opener like this.... ;)

BFO1.jpg

BFO3.jpg

BFO4.jpg

BFO5.jpg

After giving these new openers a completely thorough workout all day today, I noticed a few changes needed.

While I really like the heaviness and beefy feel of the thicker material, the length is a bit too long for nice balance. I want to keep that thickness on the end and shorten up the overall length. 4.5''-5" would be about right for nice balace and operation with this size design. I want the end ball of that opener there right at my little pinky when I'm using it.

Onto version three....

Worked on version three for several hours last night after work.  Each new version is taking longer to make with more detail and effort, not the direction I wanted to go but I'm happy with the results.  These are right around 5.5" long and feel just about right for balance with a thicker head and mid-body while still having the beefy end which I like.  I think I still would like to see a bit more tweaking on them for shape/thickness in the body-to-head transition area, but I like the length and design now. 

I took 6" of my 1/2" square wrought iron and upset it down to 4" to get the fat 3/4" end and gradual taper at the same time.  That 4" tapered chunk turns into about 5.5" finished length after the slit/drifted/forged head.  I have large hands, and that fat end is right on my pinky when in use opening a bottle, right where I wanted it.

Made a pair of these:

BFO6.jpg

BFO7.jpg

I like that very much!  Do you know how long each one is taking right now?  One thing a bartender suggested to me on mine was making a hole or some means of attaching a lanyard to it so he wouldn't lose it when working.

Since I'm still sort of experimenting, I can't really get a good time estimate for making them "for real".  I was tinkering around for over 3hrs with this pair by the time I shut down the forge....  Upsetting the 6" down to 4" takes some time while keeping things straight.

I was going to drill a hole cross-ways throught the fat end ball for a leather lanyard, and then maybe forge a mounting hook and install a magnet on the backside.  Then the opener can hang nicely by a cool looking leather lanyard, which is why I put on my frog logo in the reverse direction on this version.  Its backwards when you're hanging onto it, but will look correct when hanging.

I meant to ask you what your touchmark was.  Now I see it matches your screen icon, very cool!  This is off subject, but how'd you make your touchmark? 

I know what you mean by upsetting taking some time.  The spike hawk I made required taking a RR spike down to 3" or so.  I need to time it the next time I do one to have a better idea of time spent.