I Forge Iron

Had a good day today!

Dogsoldat

Friend who has a barber shop set me up with an old guy he knows.  The gentleman had a blacksmith display in his yard for years.  He's figuring it's time to start thinning things out due to age and health so I managed to pick up a rivet forge  a 64 lb anvil moderate shape,  another 60ish undetermined make pretty good shape a 50ish lb fisher w/ a broken heal and a piece of face missing.  3 post vices really nice screws and boxes.  a beauty of a post drill.  2 broad axes an adze a heap of assorted axe heads.  small hand crank grind stone but it's pretty cracked. heck of a pile of assorted horse shoes, ends off singletrees and double trees few bit of harness  old wooden Haynes  (?  think that's spelt  right  the bit that goes around a horses collar)  pulleys scythe blades  mostly worn right out,  a circular saw blade w/  blacksmith shop painted on it  few interesting hammers   few log tongs and a bunch of hand forged chain hooks both slip and grab.  a sack of what the barber thought was axe handles but was wagon wheel spokes.  a bunch of wagon wheel hubs  heap of  chisels and drill steels.  also a die wrench  w/ the 10 12 and 14 tpi  adjustable to whatever fits thru. a bunch of tongs along with a REALLY big bolt tongs made for 1.5- 2" stock

that's about all that I can think of right off the bat.  There is more to go back and get yet.  some shafting saws a 4-5'  sandstone wheel on a  2" dia shaft  in pretty good shape. 

would love to pick up his metal lathe an old belt drive south bend with  cast iron legs that look like the old singer sewing machine ones.  guess he missed a 300 lb anvil at one point otherwise I might have had that as well. 

gotta get it all spread out and sorted and then I can get a few pics up here.

the fisher is cast 1889 under what is  left of the heel and a 3 and a 6 on the left foot looking a the back.  under the horn is a big 5   this would be the weight when new right? 

EGADS MAN!!! What a score, even if you can't use some of it, it's worth saving maybe donating to a museum. You must be living right!

Why don't these things happen to me? Oh wait, I got my lucky break in full measure, I'll stop envying you. (Yeah RIGHT) <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Have a good wife she took a bunch of pics when I first went there to check things out.  Got most of the important bits. 

post-15973-0-63322100-1372746335_thumb.j

assorted tongs

post-15973-0-64781900-1372746460_thumb.j

65 lb  anvil by the stamp on the side not other markings I could see can see the end of the large bolt tongs next to the stump

post-15973-0-02555300-1372746561_thumb.j

post drill

post-15973-0-11587800-1372746669_thumb.j

post vise and assorted goodies broken fisher on the end

post-15973-0-88215600-1372746775_thumb.j

harness bits adze and other stuff

post-15973-0-50628100-1372746898_thumb.j

broad axe hammers etc,  broad axe might be a lefty can't remember which side the flat goes to

post-15973-0-03101500-1372747024_thumb.j

more stuff hanging up

post-15973-0-00897300-1372747139_thumb.j

vise and unknown anvil  good edges and face no marking left other than the ker billion chisel knicks on the sides

post-15973-0-09479900-1372747252_thumb.j

the outside looking in,  girls are checking things out

post-15973-0-05022500-1372747362_thumb.j

rivet forge with a champion blower on it,  needs a little tlc but runs pretty good.

I know Frosty,  just one of those lucky breaks.  Think I impressed him a little having a pretty good idea what most everything was and what it was used for.  guess that's what you get for  reading up on stuff here all the time. He's happy to have it go to a home that will value it.  Rather than stuff it in the scrappers bin.  but yeah spent 5 bills and pretty stoked  :D

I love the Broad ax hanging up in the upper right corner of the 6 th photo i have a few of them and they are Awesome for hewing logs and many other things round these parts you just don't see them that good anymore that are for sale . <Grins>

great find and buy !

Sam

I wouldn't hang a broad axe that high up in my garage in California, I don't need a REAL guillotine to worry about!

that is a fantastic score too!  pretty much one stop shopping and you have beyond a fully operational smithy :)