I Forge Iron

Thoughts on potential anvil

Hello everyone,

I found an anvil not too far away from me on Craigslist.  The seller says it's a 159lb Peter Wright Anvil.  Attached are a few pictures he sent me.  I don't know much about anvils, but to my untrained eyes it looks in good condition and the price is right (for me).  Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.

post-14860-0-86016400-1372295439_thumb.j

post-14860-0-93682800-1372295449_thumb.j

post-14860-0-66582800-1372295457_thumb.j

post-14860-0-34146400-1372295469_thumb.j

Thanks, guys. The gentleman seems pretty genuine and we have an agreement in place, so I'm not really concerned. I'm calling him tonight to firm up pick plans. I'll post some more pix once acquired. This has been a long search for me and to get a great anvil such as this is very exciting.

Really hard to tell from the picture but the step up from horn to face looks a little high. I am suspicious that some welding may have been done on it. I would want to tap around on it a little to make sure it's sound and I'd look it over real good. Looks almost too good if you know what I mean. The part of the anvil that normally sees the most wear looks almost new in the pictures which makes me think some type of repair or welding has been done. I have an old pre civil war Peter Wright that has some good honest wear but is still a fine anvil and a joy to forge on. Even if it has been repaired it may be ok but I would not give top dollar for it.