I Forge Iron

The table of the indefinite deadline

yves

A no-deadline project is as bad as a too tight deadline project.  I just finished one of the former. It came to a point where it grew on me like a disease.

The designing period was long but friendly. The client changed his mind often. He was allowed three refusals and I permitted at least four, the client realy participating and not just sitting down and saying yes or no.

When it ended, I bought the wood and cut it to gross lenghts and widths and let it sit in the shop for ... a month instead of 2 weeks, deadline permitting. Then this other little job came around and I took it not having to rush the table. And then summer time came around and the living was easy ... 

In the middle of the summer, I was invited to a chrismas fair. I phoned the client of the table and asked if I could postpone work on the table in order to forge stuff for the Xmas show. No problem. So I forged and I forged and never touched the  table. The fair was in November, on a saturday.

On the monday morning the wood of the table was staring at me when I went in. I started work, finaly on the  table at about 0830. At 1000, I cut my hand on the bench saw! After six weeks in a sort of a cast and then three days a week rehab, I could not work on the table yet no strenght in the right arm ...

And on and on. I finished last week. A little more than a year later. Every time I forged, I had the table at the back of my head, hitting me!

It is my first commission where I can marry  wood and steel. The client is happy. Here is a tour of the table.

The center part measures 46 inches long and 40 inches wide. The pannels which are permanently attached to the table measure 25 inches in lenght and, of course, 40 inches in width.

Here is are 2 pics of the table with its 2 pannels opened :

post-14003-0-48003500-1372115176_thumb.jpost-14003-0-77460300-1372115151_thumb.j

The end pannels are supported by two grills I forged. I made a number of drawings and finaly settled for a dragon fly. I wanted to stay away from scrolls which I had in some designs with buttterflies. And being and admirer of the Greene Brothers , architects of the Gamble House, I sort of naturaly went towards cloudlifts which the Greenes inherited from Japan.

post-14003-0-09292100-1372115096_thumb.j

The grills rotate and lock under the pannels :

post-14003-0-69220400-1372115203_thumb.j

Here is a pic of the table with one pannel closed:

post-14003-0-89066100-1372115229_thumb.j

This is a tresle table. It is held together with "bed bolts". I made my own :

post-14003-0-11240000-1372115038_thumb.jpost-14003-0-56674200-1372115060_thumb.j

It was nice not to lose the nut of the bolt in the mortise. I threaded a piece of 1/4"x3/4" and cut it long enough that it could be manipulated.

Done. Now I can forge to my heart's content.

• 4 weeks later...