I Forge Iron

shop invaders

Greetings Francis,

Do you charge rent?   I could bring you 1 or more of the orphan kittens we found at my friends shop...  Put your order in now before they develop there odor.

Blacksmiths are big softies.  We take care of all.

Jim     

post-30666-0-08430700-1371996561_thumb.j

We had birds build a nest over the tools in the corner of the shop one year. Heard a bunch of squawking one day and went out and momma bird was flying into the shop, doing a couple of laps, and then back out the door. Could not figure out what was upsetting her so I called the wife. 

The wife can see what I sometimes over look. Only took a minute or so and she went out the door squawking like a momma bird. She told me to go in the shop, stand in front of the tools and look up above the nest. There was a big healthy six foot long blacksnake balanced on one of the rafters and trying to figure out to have baby birds for dinner. I removed the snake to the wood pile on the other side of the property. It took a few minutes and both momma and the momma bird were back to normal. 

I thought my shop was sealed up pretty tight, ... ( except from the invasion of "Stink" bugs, that moved in a few years ago. )

But back in March, I took a fall ( broke 9 vertabrae ) that kept me out of the shop for 4 or 5 weeks.

While I was laid up, the birds invaded the place, ... and have splattered their "calling cards" all over.

Apparently, they fly up into the 2" crack between the sliding door and it's "cap" flashing, ... perch on top of the door, ( and drop their excess cargo down over the inside of the door ) and then take up a variety of "comfort stations", above the Welding Table, Belt Sander, and Lawn Tractors.

At this point, I'd welcome a coupleof Blacksnakes.  :(

a blackbird has built a nest (and is now raising chicks) in my stock of steel on the racking behind my workshop. In the past I have seen robins next in the cast bed of a friend's lathe and in the motor housing of my pillar drill!  :rolleyes:

Had a nest built in the shop a couple years back. As the babies were learning to fly momma moved her nest onto a cabinet and inside my fishing vest. When they could fly they shifted to outside. Kinda fun to watch them grow.

About a year ago the bats decided they wanted to nest inside the barge board outside the shop. Every once in a while one will come inside for a quick turn or two around the inside of the shop. The they return to the barge boards.  Gave me quite a start the first couple times. They are welcome to stay as long as they like :)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Do bears poop in the smithy?  Sounds like a byword...

I get hummingbirds that trap themselves in my shop.  They fly in the doors but then want to try to leave by the skylights.  If I can shoo them down low enough the open doors will then look like an exit again.

I love my brace of Swallows......I tried several times to to discourage them from building their nest directly over where I stand when I operate my PH but they were persistant and I kept forgeting to close my doors....Oh well, there's an up side and a down side, the up being I love to watch them put on air shows in the building, and the down is at least not done when I'm running the hammer.......... :rolleyes:

post-15096-0-41731600-1373041549_thumb.j

post-15096-0-25298800-1373041566_thumb.j

post-15096-0-14138700-1373041587_thumb.j