I Forge Iron

Free vise :)

5starhobo (blake)

Hello people of IFI! I was given this vise from an elderly man who's father was a blacksmith. He really liked to see a young man take interest in such an old craft. Anyways. I got it free and am wondering what might have caused the little divot in the jaw. Any ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated. Not really sure how you tell what make a vise is but if anyone knows i am curious of the maker :) thanks again! enjoy! 

The vise has a 4 inch jaw and is 44 inches long. Compared to all the other vises I've seen that seems to be on the long side. Any thoughts? 

post-30092-0-02116800-1371938465_thumb.j

post-30092-0-82212100-1371938508_thumb.j

post-30092-0-29459700-1371938562_thumb.j

post-30092-0-01699500-1371938612_thumb.j

Little divot, looks like a major chunk removed. But it can still be used. I would also remove all those nuts and junky spacers between the handle and front leg in the vice. If the screw does not turn all the way in look to see if there is crud in the screw box. 

Also the vice jaw could be welded up and ground back to shape.

Should be a good vice

Interesting wear on the hook jaw, the man obviously had a bread and butter job. that jaw has better than half it's thickness worn off and the divot is obviously (to me) tool wear rather than a break of some sort. Maybe file work or similar. If you're in contact with the gentleman who gave it to you, please ask him what his father did.

I've seen "occupational" wear patterns and heck put a couple on tools myself. The vise I used to hold drill bits when I built and rebuilt them had two distinctive weld spatter patterns where the bit's body shaded one side and the tooth block shaded the other. I didn't actually grind low spots in the other vise but there were a couple spots that'd get bit when the disk grinder grabbed or kicked back, or when it slipped off the spot I was dressing to weld a new block on.

Frosty The Lucky.

ill be sure to ask him because i am very  curious myself. He did show me his fathers cut off hardy and hammer. Also forgot to mention his grandfather was a smith too. Showed me some of his tongs too. Those things were so old. Bet they had stories to tell. I got the vise while in louisiana visiting relatives. Didn't know the guy but my uncles friends with him so i will try getting in touch next time I'm over there and tell you the findings :) Yes i stopped by old n' rusty's while in the area and showed him the vise also. He suspected it was filing or some other type of wear but wanted to see what all you guys thought too! Thanks for the comments guys :) gonna get her set up here in the next few days :) 

Very nice and I'm on the did a lot of the same thing side!

Instead of mucking with it to repair why not make a set of jaw covers---they might deal with the spacer issue too.

yes I've thought about that :) thanks for all the comments guys! Not matter what I'm gonna put her to use :) Is 44 inches on the long side of vises? just curious..