I Forge Iron

Tensile strength of different steels when hot

Neat, thanks Ric.

Reminds me of the time i tried to straighten a half finished scroll made of 3/4" square; moved the vice and bench at red heat!  Turns out some fool had hand tapered High Speed Steel before giving up from the effort!

A.

Ric, according to a couple works I've read on spring making, you can use 35% to 52% of the UTS for estimating torsional yield strength.

And THANK YOU for posting this chart! I've been looking all over the web for something of that nature.

It would be great to find a chart with the yield strength.

Some materials have a low yield with a high UTS, others the yield is very close to the UTS.

It would be interesting how the compare at different temps.

Richard did that come out of the Ol Welders Hand book ? Looks much like the chart in a Very old book I lost years Back Man I miss that book too it had a ton of information in it . Yes it was published in the early 40's too .

Sam

I'll look around Sam, but I have a HUGE library of these older works and ten years ago I photocopied the most interesting sections and made a booklet of what I thought was "critical cool" in steelmaking and forging. This image came from that endeavor.

If I could rig up some form of gauge I could do yield studies at various temps...but I have no idea what that gauge would look like.

I sold my twisting machine:

5hp model here (would do 1.75" mild steel easily and 1.5 stainless at 2200F, but much less of a twist angle) and am building a 15hp version for 3" square...possible 4" frankly I have no real idea as to what it will be capable of....but rest assured I will find a way to stall it.

I can not let Danger Dillon have all the fun with big work.

Ric

So...given that charted info on the 1151 steel...I wonder what the optimum rotational rate (RPM) would be for twisting various steels.

Could one get more rotations if twisted slower.

With most things I try to twist as fast as possible so as not to lose heat...with the machine it is a given RPM and all you can do is work with heating and cooling or take several heats.

Ric