I Forge Iron

A couple new knives - A clip point Bowie and a woods knife.

Matthew Paul

• 2 weeks later...

As many have already stated, I love the forged look!  Unless this information is already posted somewhere else, what steps did you follow to get this look?  To me the bowie appears to have both a hammered and ground bevel, correct?

I'm not sure what you mean by what steps I follow. I forge the blade to shape, and after heat treatment the edge is ground in. yes the bevels are forged and left about a nickles thickness before heat treatment. The clip point was an old forging that I had found when I moved to my new shop. So, it was done with a rounding hammer and not flattened or planished after forging to shape. I might have a video, I'll take a look.

Ok so I found a video that I did a year ago. I have changed how I do things a little bit but this will give you a fairly good look at it. I soak the blades in acid to remove all of the scale after heat treatment. The two blades in the first post were hit with a wire wheel after the soak, and the one in this video was lightly polished on a wheel.

and here is part two which shows some of the finishing of the knife.

Thank you, those videos were very done and helpful to answer my previous questions.  What sort of acid solution do you soak them in after the heat treat and for how long?  Does that also give them the darkened finish?