I Forge Iron

Completely new to this (UK) advice needed.

Hello everyone, I have been interested in blacksmithing for quite a while now but have only decided to really pursue it recently. If some people from England or anywhere else could help me I would be very grateful. I have been thinking about trying to buy some basic equipment that I can practice on myself as I could only seem to find one person in the area (which is still quite far) and hasn't replied to my email as of yet. The other things I found were weekend "courses" which cost a fair bit of money, which frankly I can't exactly afford right now. Could anyone here offer some advice for my situation? As I've said,I would be very grateful! 

Cheers.   :)

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

There are lots of blue prints and how to posts to get you going. Just sit on down and start reading. I recommend a comfy chair, snack and the beverage of your choice. Reading through the posts here will take weeks of reading but don't turn it into a job. This is FUN and very addictive.

Frosty The Lucky.

look at the blacksmiths guild section on here - really good value courses, its a long way for you to go from 'up north', but you could camp! thats what id suggest :) john b is your man on here.

Hi and welcome to the site,

and Beth, a long way is only relative to the desire to get there, and to learn, sometimes I am amazed at the lengths people travel to take our courses. (I am saying International here), very humbling and a great responsibilty we have towards them.

You can learn and teach yourself, as Frosty says, read, Study the free downloads from http://www.hct.ac.uk/Downloads/craftpublications.html particularly the Blacksmiths Craft, and the Wrought Ironwork; A manual of Instruction for the Craftsmen

These will give you all the information you will need to start off, then consider taking some advise/tuition, preferably before you start, look on it as an investment, from the first day of a course, you should be capable of making items to sell that will start to pay for any tuition you have to fund,

The more you put into this craft, the more you get out of it., What you have to do is do it, it won't come to you, you have to make the effort.

Good luck with whatever course you wish to take, and we look forward to seeing and helping with your progress. Just ask if you have problems, someone on the site will help sort you out. 

I've already started reading a fair bit of stuff that I've found,I'll look at these courses but camping isn't something I thought would be involved :P

Thanks for your words everyone,I'll make sure to ask if I have any questions.

You are a bit spoilt for choice up there (spoken as someone living south of Watford you understand). Brian Russell and Steven Lunn who both do really interesting work are not a million miles from you, Little Newsham and Morpeth respectively. Peat Oberon has his forge and blacksmith's school, and is a great teacher, at the Preston Hall, Museum Stockton on Tees.  I would see if you can visit them and introduce yourself. They are working so it may only be a 'ten minute hallo' (to quote Forgemaster). You can always visit Preston Hall and just watch through the window like any other visitor...

Check out the BABA website for links to training and forge-in type events, some will be in your area.

If you can cope with more camping, the BABA AGM is at Hereford College this year. You may pitch your tent next to mine! It would give you an opportunity to meet a good few of the (how shall I say?) more gregarious smiths and enable you to check out the College...

Hereford has arguably the best blacksmithing facility for students anywhere I think, and if you want to do a full time course it would be a pretty good grounding. The College runs excellent vocational courses and the allied Hereford Art School has courses which use the same forge and the tutors if your interest takes you in that direction...

Alan

well remembered alan, have been up to pete oberons school myself and had entirely forgotten, it was so long ago! he was very good and i learned a lot - a very friendly man. i also have a young friend at hereford at the moment who is absolutely LOVING every minute of it... so much choice! :)