I Forge Iron

pop up canopy for outdoor smithy

Ihave been playing around with the idea of using a pop up canopy one of those 10x10 types as a tempoary shelter to use for when i forge this summer...i have a grage but unfortantly its full of my grandparents stuff which im slowly gettng rid of and i also have to fixx the roof before i think about moving my tools in there...does anybody have any experiance usining a conapy for this purpose... the one i am looking at is flame retardent but i would hate to set it up only to burn it down...lol

We temporarily moved for about 6 years to put the kids into a better school district. I set up a shop in a 10x20 canopy structure like you describe. I used both a gas and coal forge. I used mine all year around using sidewalls. My coal forge was positioned to put the side draft chimney outside the structure and I used guy wires to stabilize it. I noticed at Forging on the River in Memphis that they were using a forge on a trailer under a tent with just a slot cut in the top to pass the chimney. I have a few melted spots around the bottom edge of the side walls but still use it for metal storage back in my original location. I have to keep after the snow on the top in winter is the biggest hassle.

Good Luck!

Doug Wilson

A couple of the guys here have been using them for at least 5 years. both use gassers primarily but one uses coal at demos without a chimney. No burns as far as I can see. Deb and I are going to get at least one, one for her dog trials and the other for my demos but I'm a propane forge

Frosty The Lucky.