I Forge Iron

Will u guys share some wisdom?

K.C.

So my forge is running great thanks to u guys. Thanks again btw.. Now I have a new problem. I'll start at the beginning. I welded a frame together and placed a HEAVY DUTY top on it. The top is made of wood. B4 u say wood is flammable.... The wood I used was part of a conveyor belt that carried Pave stones through a fire to bake and cure the stones. It is made of an exotic tree "can't remember the name" 1 inch thick 3 foot 2 inch wide and 4 foot 6 inches long. Metal bands on the sides. They are made of several planks that are and tongue & grove with all thread bolts holding them all together. They weigh 100 pounds each. My table top is cut to half that size. I took some appart and threw it in the fire place. It took all night to burn one board in an already hot fire. Last night my forge ran hotter and longer than ever and the table top started to smoke from the heat being absorbed through two layers of fire brick. I was wondering if I made a "retaining wall" around the edge of the table and filled it in with sand... Then placed the forge back on top would this solve my problem? Is there a better way? A metal top would be heavy although the wood weighs fifty pounds. Wouldn't a metal top warp? What should I do?

Coat the interior of the forge with an Infrared Reflective product.  I have Plistix at $10.00 a pint or Metrikote at $15.00 a pint.

I don't sell ITC-100.  It is about $55.00 a pint.

The air gap is good also.

I weld three 3/4" connectors on the bottom of my frame and screw in 3/4"  pipes long enough to have the mouth of the forge about chin high.  Then I can look in at the metal without having to squat down.

Thanks again guys. That will fix me up. Made an air gap tonight. Haven't fired it up yet. It will hold me over till I build a new top. I will have to get some Plistix from u Wayne.

The wood will just absorb heat like crazy and take longer to heat steel. The refractory coating will help prevent that so the heat goes into the steel instead of the wood. I would move that priority right up to the top of my list. Just a little money, a little work and IMMEDIATE results.

Dave

Thanks a bunch guys. The air gap did the trick. I'm gonna coat the inside as soon as I decide on an id for the chamber. I ran the forge for a few hours and found no noticeable heat under the table.