I Forge Iron

My Bottle Opener

scoobshagg

This is only like my second post, and I just figured out how to upload pics. That took a while.

Anyway this is my take on the bottle openers, I've been playing this this design for a couple of months now and am just now getting something that I like and can duplicate easily. Please tell me what you think.  

Nice bottle opener.  Haven't seen that way of doing it before.  Does it like to kick off to the left when you use it?  If it does, maybe try putting the lip on the top of the eye, so that you pull down on the handle to open up that Fat Tire.

Neat design.

I don't know why but it made me think of a tail wrapped back around itself. I think I might might steal your idea and have a little play with it, making the handle a snake or some other critter with its tail forming the opener. Could also be a vine with a leaf handle, quite a few possibilities.

Armymedic.2  here is a pic with what the bottoms of the handle look like.

Jer, I wouldn't say that they kick out so much. I have found that they have a sweet spot where they open a bottle the "best".

I really took a lot of time trying to figure out the design, I even tried out many of the fine designs that I found here on IFI. I did at one point have the lip on the back of the loop like Jer, suggested. But in all of the feed back that I received from potential customers and bar tenders they all said that they are use to opening a bottle from the "front" and lift method (I hope that last sentence makes since) That's when I landed on this design it's functional yet astatically pleasing as my Blacksmithing Teacher would have said.

thanks

Armymedic.2  here is a pic with what the bottoms of the handle look like.

Jer, I wouldn't say that they kick out so much. I have found that they have a sweet spot where they open a bottle the "best".

I really took a lot of time trying to figure out the design, I even tried out many of the fine designs that I found here on IFI. I did at one point have the lip on the back of the loop like Jer, suggested. But in all of the feed back that I received from potential customers and bar tenders they all said that they are use to opening a bottle from the "front" and lift method (I hope that last sentence makes since) That's when I landed on this design it's functional yet astatically pleasing as my Blacksmithing Teacher would have said.

thanks

Scoob or Shag: your design as a nice simple elegance to it and the basic has a lot of room for variants. Consider it adopted. My jthinking right now is it'd be a really cool tentacle with suckers to catch the cap rim in either direction. Be a shooin for fishermen. Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, thanks for the comment, I've seen your work it is very good. Happy fishing with my design, please post up a pick of the finished product when you get the chance.

I'm going to be making a few more of these with different handle ends here soon. I'll be sure to show you what I come up with.

Have a great day all

(I never did figure out how to remove my double post, Mod's please  help.)

You're making me BLUSH man! I used to be pretty good but have a long way to come back from the accident. I'm feeling my mojo returning though and the hammering is getting better. It's kind of weird, I can remember most of this stuff, remember doing it and being fast, good and sure but my eye hand is off. My hands often are saying HUH? when my eyes are saying why'd THAT happen?

I'll put a variant of your design on my list, now all i have to do is remember where I put the list. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Well here is my 1st attempt at a snake handled version of your opener. This is also only my 2nd attempt to make a snake, so the proportions are not quite right, but its functional and identifiable. The tip of the tail works quite well to open and can be used from either side (doesn't have to be turned right side up).

Great design you have come up with and you'll be able to do lots of variations with it.

post-37148-0-31627400-1370083171_thumb.j

But in all of the feed back that I received from potential customers and bar tenders they all said that they are use to opening a bottle from the "front" and lift method (I hope that last sentence makes since) 

Interesting feedback that.

I find that a hook from the far side is much more stable, because whether you are holding the bottle on the table or free hand you are pulling against your fingers rather than the reduced (by 60mm (2.5") leverage position of your thumb...

Still, I like to think of myself as a free thinkin' free wheelin' rebel punk :)

Alan

Still, I like to think of myself as a free thinkin' free wheelin' rebel punk :)

Alan

Alan, anyone that can make something as slick at what is on your profile photo is surely a "free wheeler" I like it.

Thank you for your kind words!

However you do realise what I said was ironic...tongue in cheek...is it possible to say something like that and mean it? :)

Unfortunately most of those that know me would probably use words like dogmatic, pedantic, control freak!

And all I ever really wanted to be was a laid-back hippy!

Alan

Hey Alan, I never did like the whole Free Thinker thing but I've never found anyone willing to pay me. I don't want to talk about my brief stab at hippydom. . . SHEESH!

EGADS! I almost got myself started!

Frosty The Lucky.

Eddie, I like your take on the opener it looks good. could we get a pick of the other side when you get the chance. I'm going to be firing up my forge tonight (I hope) and plan to do a different variation on the handle.

Alan, I've done a few of the opener with the hook like the one you describe, even gave one to my father in-law. It was simple and easy to operate. I thought to my self this is great I don't have to punch and drift any holes. I made up a few more gave them out and people just didn't open up to them lol. But Eh what can ya do perhaps it's an Ohio thing.  We're not always open and free thinking as we might want or think we are, but at least there is beer.

Have fun all

In the absence of the "normal" style if the option is to either learn a new way or go without your beer I bet most could bring themselves to accept change!

So the first thing I will do when I become King is to confiscate all bottle openers that open from the front! Starting with the OP's because they look rather good!

Alan 

Eddie, I like your take on the opener it looks good. could we get a pick of the other side when you get the chance. I'm going to be firing up my forge tonight (I hope) and plan to do a different variation on the handle.

Sorry I didn't get a pic out to ya, but I'll take another of the other side and post later on. I actually wanted to do a double wrap and leave a bit of loop rather than the tip for the working part, but thats what I ended up with. I just didn't have quite enough stock tapered out.

• 5 weeks later...