I Forge Iron

horse nails

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you may be surprised at how many of the IFI gang are within visiting distance. That and we won't keep bugging you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Horseshoe nails are a very specific type of nail.  Look up these nails and look at the silhouette.  The very tip is tapered so the nail will drive out of the hoof.  The head is a little different.  This can be done as they were made for many years by the blacksmith.  If you look at the old movies and even movies today, it seems that the only thing blacksmith did then was shoe horses. Good luck.    

Welcome aboard!
I had a thread about makng a horseshoe nail ring jig here: http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/30113-horseshoe-nail-ring-jig/?hl=%2Bhorseshoe+%2Bnail
and in that thread is a neat link on a set up to make little spoons from them. (Some say for spices, but it was questionable if they were ever used as such in the old days. They're cute anyway!)
You can also go to youtube and search horseshoe nail crosses, and there's a few videos on how to tie them.
I've never tried a heart with them though. I was thinking of making a bottle opener with some of the larger ones.
Post some picks of what you come up with, you may have the inspiration others are looking for!

What type and size of horseshoe nail should you use for your projects?

As I write this, I am not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but it may sound like it.

It is not big deal to make one or two items for a hobby project. 

And it would most likely not be important to be knowledgeable about the background of the material you are using.

So I am writing this more directed for someone who is serious about cost/benefit issues for making a profit; where in the long run, knowledge counts.

I have had people will say: “A horseshoe nail is a horseshoe nail, what’s the big deal?”

When you are creating small products, small details mean a lot and are a big deal when purchasing expensive nails.   

When using Horseshoe Nails as your base material, the length and thickness of the shank coupled with the mass and pattern of the head all has to be considered for each project.

As an example of what I mean about choosing the correct type of nail to use for different projects, it would be important to know that the range of nails from which to choose from is vast.

Just one brand of horseshoe nails; Mustad, the world’s largest Farrier manufacturer and supplier, produces just over 320 different types of nails!

Horseshoe Nails are of all different sizes and designs to accommodate a large range of horses; from very large draft horses, down to very small pones.

Also the design of the nail has to take in account how the horse is used and what surface type they will be on mostly!

The horseshoe nail has these parts: beveled point, blade or shank, neck, head, and the crown or top.

So; to choose wisely which size and type of nails to use for different projects you need to do your homework about horseshoe nails if you are serious about using them for you base material.

For example “Only”; if you want more Mass in the head of the nail to make small spoons, then you may want to consider buying the European-style of nail that has a wider square head, offering more contact than the standard rectangular American head.

Each head style comes in an array of blade and head shapes and sizes.

Example: A Regular Head is a little larger than city head.

Another consideration is the thickness and length of the blade, especially if you are making rings.

Horseshoe Nail Rings.  It is important to learn what type of horseshoe nails to use so they will fit different sizes of fingers and have a fitting design on the head.  Always clip and “dull” the point!

Safety Issue: When making Horseshoe Nails Rings, make sure you blunt the point end so it will be safe for use.

Tip: I have made a few of these items in my life time, so I use simple jigs, and do some preliminary bending based on the type and thickness of nail that I use.

I know you will figure it out!

My best to you!

Is there any instructings available for making horse nail hearts and any other horse nail things.  I am new at forging, my Dad is teaching me.  Thank you

Hi Wiffie, there are some good books out there on making stuff from horseshoe nails, particularly from Sweden and European

The proprietery made ones are ideal to work as they are quite soft, all you need is a small pair of needlenosed pliers, different daimeter bars to bend the nails around, ordinary pliers and a small vice or something to grip with, some method to scecure them together, braze, solder or weld. The rest is up to your imagination,

Here are some samples from a long time ago which I had a go at making jewellery items with, and had them chrome plated after soldering

post-816-0-92952600-1369211360_thumb.jpg   post-816-0-26585100-1369211384_thumb.jpg  post-816-0-60387200-1369211419_thumb.jpg  post-816-0-01149000-1369211458_thumb.jpg  post-816-0-36942200-1369211480_thumb.jpg 

not exactly the heart you were after, but will give you an idea of what can be done.

Have fun and lets see what you can do.

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the info.  I am still looking for how to make the horse nail heart,  we have been trying to make one-we are almost there but could use some direction.

Post a pic of where you are at with it, then we may be able to advise you further