I Forge Iron

May have found my first REAL anvil

Ok guys... I would love your views and knowledge befor I commit to this oldie I found. First, is there any way to upload pics from my phone?? I will as pics when I get home this afternoon. Now for the good stuff! The anvil belonged to a mans grandfather. The man who owns it is 59. It seems to be in really nice shape. Comes with two hardie tools. Nice big work surface (measurements to come) estimates it to be 100 pounds. Looks a bit larger to me. The only marking is an M on the side. His father welded two letters one on each side of the (M) the edges look super clean. He is asking 275 but said he'd be happy to work with me on the price. It is about two hours from me but he plans to come to Fort Worth soon. I know y'all need a bit more info and I will provide it when I have it just thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Update* just got this info from the owner.

It is 23 1/2" long, 9 1/2" high, 3 3/4" wide. It weights right at 100 lbs. It is marked with a ( m ). If you look on each side of the m, you can see where  a name was put with a welder. On the top plate on a portion of the edge, it   Has a few dings from a hammer.  I will take $ 240.00 for it.

In my area people try to sell 100 pound vulcans for 400 dollars... Cheap taiwan anvils for 2 or three dollars a pound ect. Good anvils are very expensive. Any idea on the maker of this one? I'm guessing you know your brands since they seem to be multiplying in your area... Lol I'm jealous!

Page 224 of "Anvils in America" and a photo of a similarly-marked anvil.  The one in the photo is identified as a 100 lb Columbian (Columbian Hardware Company, Cleveland, Ohio). 

On page 213 of the book, talking about Columbian anvils, Postman says "...the 100-pound anvils generally have an "M" in relief on them."

I'd buy it!  I'm not sure who made it, but if it was a cheap knock-off casting of an anvil, I would expect a far worse surface than it's showing.  Looks to me like it's a top notch anvil in almost new condition.

If the rebound is better than 60%, I'd be very happy with that purchase.  Secure it to a heavy stump that's sunk into the ground a foot or so and you'll have a dandy of a set up.

You can do big work on an "light" anvil that doesn't wiggle and wobble!

I was thinking the quality and condition were fantastic too. I'll know more when I go see it. Wanna laugh? Remember what I said above about prices being crazy here? A guy just said he'd sell me a fifty pound Vulcan for 200 dollars.

Just found out this old girl has a welded top plate. Got to hear it ring over the phone and from what I can tell it sounded good. He said his great grandpaw was from Germany. Not sure if he passed it to his son (the grandfather of the man who owns it now). Seems to be a keeper. Thanks for all the replys! Anyone else have any other info on the protruding M? I thought the columbian hardware co had an upside down triangle. I really don't know for sure.

Welded face plate? Did he say how it was welded? My Sodorfors has a welded face plate, it was placed in the old, the whole thing preheated and the molten steel poured. Welded face plate.

Looks like a bingo to me, I'd get it if it passed the basic rebound and eyeball test.

Frosty The Lucky.

Columbian is the triangle.

If you cannot ID it, use the sound and rebound tests as mentioned above.

If they pass w/flying colors, then look for cracks etc.

If it is a welded face, then it is wrought iron likely. The cast steel don't generally have a face plate.

He is bringing it to me on Monday! He had an unexpected trip to Fort Worth. He is also bringing me a couple set of Heller tongs. One set is 20 inches and the other 14 & a 1/2. 25 dollars each. Gonna try and talk him down a little. It's already a good deal but I love to haggle. Made a trip to the RR tracks to day on my Harley.... The saddle bags were so loaded with spikes, large screws, and some other "hold down parts" lol... Don't know what they are.. that the bags were about to catch on fire from the exhaust pipes.... I'm gonna have lots of bottle openers soon.. Lol I figure I'll put that old anvil to work right off the bat so she can pay for her self.

The odd sorta "C" shaped things IF you lucked into some, are rail spring clips. Google using those terms and you'll see a feast of good solid medium carbon goodies. these are perfect stock when you need TOUGH, say prybar nail puller thingies, tongs, drifts, small hammer heads, etc. THOSE are a score material wise. For sale items spikes are easily recognizable and the customers like them better.

Frosty The Lucky.

He brought the anvil, hardie tool's, and tongs today. Paid 270 for all of it. She rings like a bell and has awesome rebound. The tongs are sooooooo much better than channel locks! lol The anvil has cut my forge time in half working RR spike bottle openers. So happy with it!

post-40427-0-19904600-1369096336_thumb.j

post-40427-0-35380600-1369096349_thumb.j

post-40427-0-50109100-1369096433_thumb.j

She's a beauty alright. You're happy now, just wait till you get to know each other and the dancing really starts. I remember how happy and frankly thrilled I was when I finally got my first good anvil. Heck, the best anvil I've ever had. We still dance a joyous gambol and don't CARE if anybody is watching.

Frosty The Lucky.