I Forge Iron

The smoke from Green Coal.

eseemann

Good Morning all,

I got a bag of blacksmithing coal a few weeks ago and tried it out last night. The good is my forge is out side and not under an overhang. The bad is it is low to the ground, about 2' high. I tried to stay out of the way of all the yellow smoke from the sulfur and green coal but I guess I did not do a good enough job. This morning I feel a shortness of breath but no burning or dryness I have read about.

So do I need to go to the doctor where I will, no doubt get a chest x-ray, since they got to pay for the device some how, or should I see how I feel tomorrow?

Good Morning,

Some people react to the smoke more than others. Some people with mild emphysema can't be anywhere near it, it closes off their air passage.

You will need a hood and shield part way around your forge tray. The shield will stop the wind from blowing your smoke all over and the hood will take all the smoke and create a draft to pull it up the chimney at the top of the hood. I have seen a hood that was made adjustable up & down, when they were starting the fire they lowered the hood and this forced the draft. When the forge got hot they raised the hood to still keep the draft (it had 8 work stations around one fire).

Raise your forge. 2 feet is too low unless you are 4 feet tall. Work with your back straight. I have a video of Blacksmith's in other countries that dig a hole in the dirt to get to the height they are comfortable. :)

Neil

You need to be the judge of that depending on how bad you feel, if you feel like you are in respiratory distress don't mess around waiting for an answer here get to the doctor, it could be affecting your heart too. DO NOT screw around with you heart and lungs, they ain't easy to fix you know!

You might just be sensitive to coal smoke or there may be a something in it you don't agree with. we're the wrong ones to ask, you have to decide if you need medical attention but do NOT take chances. If you think you MIGHT need to go, GO. Better paying a bill you might not have had to than needing a doc and not seeing one.

We can work out smoke control once you're feeling well again.

Frosty The Lucky.

If you can see it, smell it, or taste it, then it is not air.  

I appreciate your confidence in the blacksmithing community but we ARE NOT physicians. It would be a disservice to you to try to diagnose something affecting your health over the internet, As stated above, you decide if you need to seek medical attention and if you are in distress then go.

A chimney will help get the smoke out of the work area. It does not eliminate the smoke it just moves it up and out of the way. I have seen the smoke spread out but stay in the area forming a cloud.  I have seen the smoke during heavy weather just make it over the top of the chimney and then fall back down and into the forge with little or no dilution of the smoke. I have seen smoke fall onto the ground and flow like water, collecting in the low areas and bottom land.

Best way to eliminate the smoke is to poke a hole in the top of the coal (or fire) and create a volcano which burns much of the smoke. This also creates more draft which helps dilute the smoke that is left. 

I am pleased to report that I feel much like my old self today. I was a bit short of breath yesterday but that seemed to pass as the day went on. I am not going to use that coal untill I have a higher fire pot and a good way of venting the smoke away from me.

Sounds like a plan! Please be careful, it's not that I mind praying for your health and safety, that's a lot better than praying for your family after you pass. Always maintain a well ventilated work space and observer safe working conditions or you could end up with a damaged body and end up in a condition that is unpleasant. Don't ask how I know, it's just too embarrassing!

I can back what glenn said. I myself have my forge under a huge overhang and have problems with the smoke gathering on calm days. i found that poking a hole in the top of the fire right above the place where your air comes in. Try to get an open flame to come out, the green smoke is flammable so it will mostly burn off if you have a flame next to it. But also be aware of the other gases the are produced when burning coal that you can't see. Best would be to get a evacuation system to remove everything. All in all, poking a hole in the top of the fire and letting a flame burn there will burn off a good bit of the yellowish green smoke, or at least for me :)

• 3 months later...