I Forge Iron

Couple of candle holders

Curly

Well finally got my temporary forge up and running and put these together over the last couple of days. My first attempt at candle holders and creating the cups, so pretty pleased how they turned out. Both are mounted in portland stone.

On the latter candle holder the cups are mounted by drilling and tapping and using some M4 bolts. This was easy enough but was wondering what other options there would be (other than welding) for attaching these in a more traditional manner?

post-29379-0-03170800-1368208956_thumb.j post-29379-0-26559800-1368208962_thumb.jpost-29379-0-38089000-1368208973_thumb.j

Nice work on the twists! You can also attach candle cups by forming a small tenon on the end of the candle holder with a matching hole in the candle cup itself. Heat the tenon to a nice orange heat, and quickly drop the candle cup over the hot tenon. Then using a long punch that will fit to the bottom of the candle cup, peen a rivet head onto the tenon, to secure the candle cup. 

you can make an actual rivet set by drilling a shallow hole in the end of a rod. Pretty doesn't matter in your riveting as its at the bottom of the cup, and a torch can be a big help in keeping the tenon hot so it rivets up nice and tight.

Very nice candelabra Curly, those are certainly worthy of higher status than candle holders. What do you call the twist with all the lateral cuts? The one, sort of like twisting a stack of wafers. I REALLY like the looks of it, I'm gonna adopt and adapt that one, you betcha.

Other than attaching the cups the way you did, I'd go with Michael's suggestion. Though, with cups as tight as those you could simply pein the tennon  and let the cups hold the candle.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks all!

Will have to give the tenon method a try. Will give me an excuse to make up some tools.

The twist is called "saw it somewhere on google and thought it was worth a try". Not sure its actual name, its basically a cube twist but rather than stopping half way on the face going nearly all the way then doing a matching cut on the other side. So the small twist has 10 cuts on each side, medium twist 20 and the large 30. Giving a total of 120 cuts all done by hand! Just over a days work to do the whole thing.

Will call it a candelabra from now on, much nicer sounding than a mundane candle holder! :P

very impressed curly!  those are beautiful!  how did you put the incisions in the twist?  chisel? band/hacksaw? guillotine?  They are very uniform and look fantastic :)

of course you sneak in just as i hit post and explain it all XD

well, almost all, does by hand mean chisel?

very impressed curly!  those are beautiful!  how did you put the incisions in the twist?  chisel? band/hacksaw? guillotine?  They are very uniform and look fantastic :)

of course you sneak in just as i hit post and explain it all XD

well, almost all, does by hand mean chisel?

Yeah just beat you to that!

So it was using a hacksaw rather than a chisel. Here is a more detailed pic of the twist taken from the same image posted above. If I do it again I think I would do this twist a 1/4 of a turn less. You can see that too much twist causes each layer to buckle a bit and close up. With the others you can see light between each layer which gives it a nice effect.

post-29379-0-52192100-1368214239_thumb.j

Nice one (or two or three or five) Curly, looks like you are on your way now, they should have been a good confidence builder.

Well done.

I'd also go with the tenon for securing the sconce and cup.

Nice one (or two or three or five) Curly, looks like you are on your way now, they should have been a good confidence builder.

Well done.

I'd also go with the tenon for securing the sconce and cup.

Thanks John, certainly learnt a few things over the last couple of days. .

Also, thanks to a nice surprise from the wife it looks like I'll be attending your flower making course at the end of June. So very much looking forward to that!

Tim