I Forge Iron

Little gutter adze

Thx for the positive feedback. I am a new blacksmith just learning. I have really enjoyed making woodworking tools that are hard to find and expensive. I am making pretty serviceable hook knifes, gouges, adz and froe so far.

You'd be amazed at how many blacksmiths started out wood workers wanting that special plane knife, chisel, etc. and got themselves addicted to hot iron.

Welcome to the addiction, no cure and nobody here cares.

Frosty the Lucky

• 3 weeks later...

Oh goodness that is one juicy straight line. Thank you sir! It's very close to one of the classic backsmith jokes, about the master smith who tells his apprentice to take the sledge hammer and when he nods his head hit it.

It's used like any adze, swing it, it's not a struck tool like a carving gouge. It's for hollow work, like bowls, gutters, trenches, etc. this little adze is exactly the kind of project I have in mind when I keep my eye open for ball peins at garage/yard/etc. sales.

Frosty The Lucky.

You'd be amazed at how many blacksmiths started out wood workers wanting that special plane knife, chisel, etc. and got themselves addicted to hot iron.

Welcome to the addiction, no cure and nobody here cares.

Frosty the Lucky

Totally agree with Frosty: I am one of those! I am a luthier and I started making carving knives and gauges and chiesels cor a need and then I got addicted!!!
Beautiful adze. I need to make one really big and double handed to carve double basses!!