I Forge Iron

Oak Leaf and Acorn Fire Companion Set

tzonoqua

Hi All, 

Been a while since I posted anything. Just got back from Canada and had this job to do once I got back. Its a fire companion set with acorn ends which is a commission for a very nice returning client of mine, it will be a wedding gift. The stand is adorned with oak leaves. 

Was a learning experience for me to make the acorn formers, as I've never made formers like that before. Not sure I got it completely right, but it did the job. I reused some hardy and top tools that I never used and had doubles of. Next time I will definitley make a spring swage. Bit silly trying to manage a top tool, a hammer all the while doing a yoga like balancing act with the stock end. Makes for interesting positions while forging and probably as good as pilates for my core muscles anyway!!!  

Also been a while since I've made any tongs. I lost track of the hours in it, I think about 20 or so. Tools made from 12mm square, stand is made from 12mm round. One of the oak leaves is carved with the names, a little heart and the date of their wedding.

Broom is a traditionally made besom broom (birch) made by a local broom squire, who is one of only 3 left in England.  Finished with black wax. Critique welcome.

post-1299-0-56283600-1367348005_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-79091100-1367348019_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-57061000-1367348026_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-48671300-1367348040_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-19585700-1367348063_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-21421900-1367348074_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-16005400-1367348085_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-49892400-1367348093_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-31112100-1367348104_thumb.jp

Thanks JK,

Thanks John. This set was a commission and has gone off to it's new owner already.  I thought also that these things had to be entered ages ago and I've missed the entry?  

the link is http://www.blacksmithscompetition.co.uk/  you missed out the S :)

I have some other stuff I could bring down though if it isn't too late...    I always see the winners of these things, though, John, and with competitors like Mick Maxen there isn't really a point for me entering!!  :wacko:

Guest Aengus

This really is a very nice set; clearly as someone already mentioned, a true family heirloom. Personally I think the tongs are the most impressive of the tools - substantial, but clean, symmetric lines.   (... and I'll admit to not having heard of a 'besom' birch broom until this.)  

Thanks all. Aengus, you will have known about a besom broom but just not realized it as it's the kind of broom witches ride on!!!  The tongs were a bit of a challenge, and took a good few hours to make as it has been a while since I've made some but I'm pleased with the result, although they are quite substantial and need two hands to operate, but my customer wanted something big and chunky but yet still organic looking to go with the old cottage that the newlyweds are moving into.

That is an outstanding fire companion set Colleen. I especialy like the stand, very organic twists and turns. The leaves are expressive and go so well. What really tickles me is a certain almost sinister feeling I get from it. It's so easy for me to envision some creature emerging from ground or sea to capture the unwary.

If I had this sitting next to our wood stove I'd be bringing people over to show it off and brag.

Well done.

Frosty the Lucky

Thanks JK,

Thanks John. This set was a commission and has gone off to it's new owner already.  I thought also that these things had to be entered ages ago and I've missed the entry?  

the link is http://www.blacksmithscompetition.co.uk/  you missed out the S :)

I have some other stuff I could bring down though if it isn't too late...    I always see the winners of these things, though, John, and with competitors like Mick Maxen there isn't really a point for me entering!!  :wacko:

Hi Colleen, would the owner let you "borrow" it back for the show?

I did correct the 's' as when I read it back, I realised i had missed it out.

With regard to the shows, Most will take entries up to the start of the show, the reason for early entries is to get the entrants details into the show's catalogues., Certainly North Somerset, Devon County, Royal Cornwall all accept them on the show opening morning .

With regard to the winnersof these things, you have not got the overall picture and reasoning behind these NBCC shows.

Firstly they are there to attract and entertain the visitors, secondly to promote the blacksmiths craft, and the participating blacksmiths, local or otherwise.

Winning is nice, but not essential, the public (anything from 20,000 to 250,000 depending on the show) will pick out pieces they like, wheras the judging is done on skill criteria, and where else can you get your work before that many people for minimum cost (£5 per entry) and you can usually sell your items there, put out business cards, and talk to potential clients.

Often commisions are obtained for work at these shows, merely because people are looking for stuff that appeals to them, and the person who made it is there.

Some shows also have a "People's vote" where the visitors can vote for their favourite piece, more often than not this is not the judges winning piece, and in some respects, more valid than the judges choice, as the public are the one's spending money on the items and commissions.

Anyway they are all good fun.

Hi John, thanks for the detailed reply, I was being a little tongue in cheek with regards to entering the show!!  :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm not really bothered about winning but getting more business would certainly be worth coming for. I'd have to raid a gallery to get some work to bring down for it. It all depends on whether I can convince the other half to go, I'll work on him in the next few days, except I have a feeling he's supposed to be off with marquee on Mon, kids will probably be easily convinced!! I take it you will be there?

The set is now on it's way to Cumbria, in fact was supposed to be delivered today, but parcel force seem to have hiccuped a little and it has been delayed.  So much for guaranteed 24 hr delivery!!

Frosty, I wondered when I made it whether I should have used round stock for the tools as well, but I guess with the twists it adds a traditional look to it even though the stand is "curly whirly"

Beth, I regret not buying one of his full size besom brooms, but I'm going to visit him again and get some more little ones made up. He gave my daughter a little one to play with after I told him all about how she's into harry potter and regularly dresses as a witch (cape, black tutu and hat)  around the house!!!