I Forge Iron

Sword handle

Kingsword12

I'm attempting to make my first sword and I'm not sure about what to make the handle out of. A typical sword handle is made out of wood but I'm not sure how thick it should be and if it'll be strong enough. Can someone(s) lend me some advice? The blade is almost two feet long and the handle I was planning on having it be about 9 inches long but that be changed.

how long is a length of string?  hard to answer without more details.   a No Dashi needs a longer handle than a viking blade, a foil requires a slimmer one than a Flamberge. Do you wish leather wrapping, or visable wood with an oil finish? maybe a wire wrap?

Sounds like the handle you want would probably be good for a Bastard, also has another name and think it might be                   

hand and a half sword maybe.....

Blade is somewhere usually around 3 feet, handle is long enough for one or two hands respectively.

It is a cross between a longsword and a broadsword, hence the name a Bastard sword.

Note that in MANY countries Oak is not easy to get.  Not knowing if you are in South Africa, South America, Australia, etc makes it hard to make good LOCAL suggestions.  Why we suggest folks give their general location in their profile.

How heavy do you expect this blade to be?

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is I'll have to start over cause I don't have a forge to heat the blade and I will have to make a handle out of wood and make the crossguard. I had thought I could make a generic sword with a stainless steel pvc pipe wrapped with leather as a handle, and weld the blade on top of that.

Strongly suggest you read "The Complete Bladesmith" by Hrisoulas; your local public library should be able to ILL it for you if they do not have a copy.  He covers a lot of sword building information in it.  And let me assure you that several HUNDRED pages written by a master of the craft is actually better than a couple of posting written by who knows?

Strongly suggest you read "The Complete Bladesmith" by Hrisoulas; your local public library should be able to ILL it for you if they do not have a copy. He covers a lot of sword building information in it. And let me assure you that several HUNDRED pages written by a master of the craft is actually better than a couple of posting written by who knows?

Agreed, good bit of reading. And I *think* Doctor H is still lurking around here, so he might chime in