I Forge Iron

Possible first anvil?

Hello everyone! I've been smithing for several months now. I took a metallurgy class as a college elective and fell in love with it! I've been using a large piece of railroad track for a while now. Finally decided it was time to get a real anvil! I found this one close to me on craigslist. Looks like an excellent anvil and priced reasonable for the area. What are your thoughts?

http://muncie.craigslist.org/tls/3719189904.html

Bring a good straight edge with you, Something like a steel ruler or level. Place the straight edge on the top and see how much of a dip is in the face. If there is some dip try and talk the person down to a lower price.

Some dip "sway" in the face does not destroy the anvil. Many people make nice work with anvils that have some. Some people even say " they prefer some sway". using the sway to help straighten bars. I try to only use flat anvils when I can. I would try and lower the price if there is a dip. Anvils were made flat, and they were never as good as the first day they were made. 

I am sure how ever that this anvil will be much more useful for general hand forging then train track. It looks nice.

Pull the trigger and walk away happy!  That's a might fine anvil and is just the right size to be both portable/movable and workable for any size project.  While I'm a weight snob and want the biggest, heaviest anvil I can find, I realize that smaller examples are often better to work on for some projects.

Less than $2/lb?  Assuming the rebound is good, I wouldn't even think about hesitating on that purchase.  Truly good stuff.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in your header you might be surprised to find out how many IFI guys live within visiting distance.

Take a look at it in person, I find dings, nicks and such are far more significant than a little swale in an anvil's face. This one looks to be reasonably clean so rebound would be my #1 test on this one.

Frosty The Lucky.

I decided to buy it. It has a little sway, but nothing bad. The rebound is still great on it and edges are still very crisp! I'm going to pick it up Friday. I'll clean it up and post pictures of it all mounted up! Really excited to be getting my first real anvil!!

You know, I may just have to! Seems like a great wealth of knowledge! The more I get into this, the more i realize how large of a community there is all eager to help and share what they know with people just starting out.