I Forge Iron

Anvil need

Hey guys, I'm a beginner black smith/blacksmith and need an anvil I've found a Peter wright 1-1-2 what's does that mean he's asking $275 for it and he says its 115 pounds is he asking a good price or should I try and go lower.

It looks to be in good condition it has a nice face on it.

Any thoughts on what I should do and look for etc?

Greetings,

Words of wisdom...  Don't drive up in moms Cadillac.... Wear you oldest grubby jeans..... Smile and tell the seller your a new smith just getting started and on a limited budget....   bring cash in small denominations.. 10s and 20s   .....  Smile and make your best offer....    The truth is its worth what he is asking...

Welcom to anvil pickers....

Here's a picture of the peter wright anvil that I've found it is the only picture I have of it, but I am not sure about where it is. I found it on Craigslist and he had it under three different towns but its still about 3 to 4 hour drive over either way and its a costly drive cause I drive a diesel truck and fuel prices are through the roof right now. And if I calculated it correctly it would cost I think around around $200 dollars I'm not sure though I've never really been good at math could cost less. So how should I play this now that you know more about what it going on.

Welcome aboard Cota, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header you might be pleasantly surprised to find out how many IFI members are within easy visiting distance. Of course you may live in a cave under a swamp on a desert island in the antarctic and not have neighbors. If so please disregard the advice.

I couldn't open the pic but if it's in even decent condition that'd be a pretty fair price. Tell him how much it's going to cost to drive over and make a counter offer. Worst can happen is he'll say no and you'll end up paying asking or closer.

Frosty The Lucky.