I Forge Iron

Stump vise

Jimmy Wallbanger

Its not too bad looking. Should serve you well!

Timothy: Isn't it funny how languages change and develop? Etemology at work, I say! I think it may be how Hardy/hardie came about. Today common usage allows us to call vises post vises, and spell hardies with a "Y". Funny thing, actually. I love the study of language, especially how it relates to blacksmithing.

It's missing the spring and possibly the wedge or gib key.  Both are easy to replace, though, and make for good beginner's projects.

The beveling on the legs is just decorative.  It makes the product look nice and reduces the materials cost to the maker so it's a win-win situation.

The price isn't bad.  I might try to haggle after explaining about the missing parts, too.  I'd pay $60 for it and be happy, but I'd be happier to pay less!

Its not too bad looking. Should serve you well!

Timothy: Isn't it funny how languages change and develop? Etemology at work, I say! I think it may be how Hardy/hardie came about. Today common usage allows us to call vises post vises, and spell hardies with a "Y". Funny thing, actually. I love the study of language, especially how it relates to blacksmithing.

Your right but people would understand each other if we tried to use the same terms for specialized tools.  You ever try to get a job done with another guy who calls every tool by a nick name or callers it a thingy.  Metal work even blacksmithing, requires a degree of precision to get the job done well.  It helps when your working hot iron to ask for a tool and get what you asked for.  What if you asked for a coarse file and the guy brought you a rasp you might get upset.     

then call it a bastard! less confusion

the english language is open to evolution, look at american english! talk about modification!

if you want to be pedantic, expect to pedal backwards at some point.

is it a "blacksmith leg vise" or just a "leg vise" if the former, then is not everything in a smithy refered to as a "blacksmith......."

is it a leg for running or walking? it it a table leg? or is it to be mounted on a free standing "post" or "stump"?

is it in fact to be mounted on a water "leg" of a firetube boiler???

Your right but people would understand each other if we tried to use the same terms for specialized tools.  You ever try to get a job done with another guy who calls every tool by a nick name or callers it a thingy.  Metal work even blacksmithing, requires a degree of precision to get the job done well.  It helps when your working hot iron to ask for a tool and get what you asked for.  What if you asked for a coarse file and the guy brought you a rasp you might get upset.     

Well the term leg vise makes a lot of scene when you think about it.  It stands on a leg like a table, chair or person and it has jaws at the top like most creatures.  Posts go floor to ceiling and support beams and lintels  if you mounted a vice on a post you would run your hand into the post when you filed or have to stop when you wrapped a scroll. Unless you mounted it to your fence or mailbox but then you would be working to close to the road. Vices are mounted on stands or benches most of the time at least when used most effectively.  Now I suppose a stump would make a good stand for a vise but you would have to cut down a tree then build your shop over it.    Pedantic and proud :D.

As a fossil and a not yet dried up one, I learned to say "leg vise" from my horseshoeing and smithing mentors and peers in the 1960's. I also saw it in my old 1894 catalog. Much later on, when I first heard "post vise," I made a face, kind of like the Louisville cardinal logo. The cardinal has gritted teeth, a scowl, and a furrowed brow.

Hah I started a thread about a vise and it ends up being an English lesson . Well sorry I called it a stump vice. A real stump vice by the way is this goofy looking thing you hammer into a stump to clamp your chainsaw bar into for service and sharpening . Think I saw a picture of a " leg " vice " on a stump and that's how I remembered it

The test of the screw is not only how smoothly it works but how worn the threads are.  If they are still a nice sq shape then it's in good condition, I have seen them worn to a point or even to low rounded form that was pretty much unusable to apply pressure with.

That's not a bad price for a vise that's usable.  I tend to buy ones missing pieces of the mounting system as it drops the price substantially and they are easy to make in the forge.