I Forge Iron

Thinking about getting a new welding machine

I have a miller bobcat 225, but have been looking for a wire welder for a while. I found the thermal arc 211i 3in1 machine for about $1200. I was just wondering if anyone on here has used one and if so what they thought about it.

I have a bobcat also, I bought a S52S wire feeder, just plug it in. if you are looking for an electric mig, the 220v is the way to go, 

as for the multi process machines, I know for sure the  cheap  ones  aren't  all  that  good, check out you tube, I've watched some reviews on different machines, worth looking into

ive read some reviews on it, one was a comparison against the millermatic 211 and he said he would get the TA 211i as its about $500 cheaper. Said that the miller wire welded a little better, but the TA stick welded better and they both tig welded about the same. 

I just bought a TA 211i. I opened the box yesterday but haven't used it yet. I found mine for around $1,150 tax included. 

I think TA is a good company. They are in the welding business and this machine has nice features for the price.

Is it a Lincoln 256 or a Miller 252? No, but it should prove to be a useful machine. My place is in the country and it takes me over 2 hours to get to a Lowe's out and back. Versatile is important.

I have a Thermal Arc Inverter machine.  I use it for Tig welding only, and like it very much.  I do have an added cooling section for Tig welding.  I initially got the thermal arc because of it's reported reduction in power usage from the inverter process.  We had sky rocketing electric bill charges at one time.  I would suggest going to a local welding school and ask their opinion on welders.  Good luck.   

As someone who is in the buisness of selling these kinds of machines I always throw in the good with the bad.  The Thermal is an ok machine, it is a second teir system (Miller 1a. Lincoln 1b).  I've had some bad experiences with some of their equipment in the past (not saying that it has any bearing on todays units).

All systems based on inverters have a limited life expectancy (average 5 years but some lucky few might see 10).  These units are complex, so 5 is probably all you'll get.

Remember, with anything you get what you pay for.

I have a friend who teaches blacksmithing at Mesa Community College in Phoenix. There welding lab has 15 Thermal arc inverters. They have perform very well for them and have had 1 board go out in the 3 years that they have had them. I have blue running through my blood and am a Miller man But if someone gave me a Lincoln I would not turn it down.  ;)

One must always consider the source when evaluating anything.  If a welding school has 15 Thermal Arc inverters there must be a reason.  Welding schools use the heck out of welding machines.  Classes can run day and night, and on a variety of metals.  I also like Lincoln and Miller machines.  I use a Lincoln 125 wire feed all the time and has been a solid performer.  If there is a welding school in your area, and you have the time, I would suggest taking one semester at the school with the specific purpose of testing each type of welder.  There can be slight differences that you might like with one particular brand and you can practice to your hearts content on the type of welding you will do most.  For me, the Thermal Arc has been great for welding aluminum, mild steel and stainless steel.  But, I bought it for welding aluminum.    

I teach welding at a large community college, and our mission statement is all about workforce development and industry support. We have 480V 3 phase power outlets for all 30 of our booths plus 15 cutting/fabricating stations. We only buy and use Industrial Duty rated plasma cutting and welding machines for our job training classes. Just the plugs cost more than most small welders. We have recently added some 240V outlets during expansion just so we can utilize some lighter duty machines for sheet metal in the new dedicated Fabrication area.

Many smaller schools on a tighter budget or with lower available power use only 240V single phase for everything. That is what you are limited to in a residential zoned setting, so for most folks taking classes for personal knowledge that is fine.

I have a student who recently bought a 240V only Thermal Arc (181i?) multi-process machine and uses it for his work. He has brought it in to use on various projects. It does not do E6010 very well, but does OK with E7018 for stick. MIG and TIG are adequate as well. It is a good light duty portable machine for the money. They also make 240V /120V machines like the 211.