I Forge Iron

Bull (Phoenix) Air Hammer remodel

It isn't 6:00am yet here so I had to turn off the sound of my 'puter  :( But, it gives me a nice reason to watch it again later   :rolleyes:

Anyway even silent it seems to hit hard without the dump-valves, that's great, I didn't like 'em too much ( I'm perhaps wrong but I feel like it would need far more air with dumps)...  

I really enjoy your work Ken and most of all, the way you (let me add Sir Larson and the few steam guys here too) share this super knowledge and brain juice with us   :wub:

Thanks Ken  ;)

Mad Mike and Iron Woody, I think there is definitely renewed interest in the versatility of steam hammers relative to any other style of hammer.  Mike Dillon and Ken Zitur have me inspired that's for sure.  When I launched into my hammer I was pretty sure I knew what I was doing.  Not so.  Lately I've been learning what does not work--not very pleasant.  If it wasn't for info from Ken and Mike my project would have crashed and burned by now.

Thanks for your kind words, I too think these hammers have a great interest to anyone who has run one. It's interesting to me the different traits throughout the different hammers and personalities within the same models. I have run a few different type and size hammers but have never been drawn to the switch type air hammers, I think it was due to the rhythm (well maybe the size as well) Anyone who has ever been around a Nazel, Chambersburg or Massey will contest there is nothing like it, well maybe an old Harley, hit miss engine or steam locomotive. To me it's about the rhythm & vibration, their function BAM BAM BAM! 

Thanks Ken I have been unable to look here a few days, or I would have responded sooner. Looks to me on the video at least like it might be doing better than the original. I normally only go down to 50# if I am using crown dies or such. The recomended presure was 125# which is what I use most though I do adjust for different things. Thanks again. Mark

• 8 months later...