I Forge Iron

Upcoming Events 2013

markgingery

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to post the Vulcan Forge Group (AFC Chapter) events for 2013. We have setup a calander of activities for the year and hope all who want to will attend !!!  We meet normally the second Sunday of each month at the Bell Barn behind the casting shed at Tannehill State Park. The park has a small admission fee.

Upcoming events !!!

Vulcan Forge Demos and Projects 2013
Feb 10th - Heart Sconce with Mike Linn
March 10 - Dogwood Blossom and Keychains with Mike Linn and Lee McKee
April 14th - Tongs with James Whatley
May 5th - Iron Roses in time for Mother's Day with Mike Ray
June 9th - Patch Knives and Skinners with Glynn Holmes
July 14th - Copper Letter Opener with Milo
Aug 11 - Group Project - Standing Coat/Hat Rack To be auctioned off at AFC Fall Conference
Oct 13th - Swedish Style Axe and Hatchet with Lee McKee
Nov 10th - Vulcan Forge Holiday Party! Surprise Guest Demo, Cook Out, and BIG Iron in the Hat Auction!
Dec 8th - Reindeer Shoes & Christmas Tree Ornaments with Big Jim Hestle

We also have a special event on the 16th and 17th of this month. Chasing and Repousse Tools creation this class is $100.00 for two days and includes a 3 foot piece of S-7 1/2 inch Rod. This class size is limited.

If your interested in these classes, let us know !!! If you would like to attend the Tools creation class on the 16th and 17th PM me for details. It will be a great 2 day class and help support our chapter of the AFC !!! 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vulcan-Forge/144612122261217

Check out our facebook page for pictures and more details !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Cupola(s) will be fired up the weekend of Batson... Weather Permitting.

Tannehill Historic Ironworks Park
 Iron Pour Dates
March 1-3  - Season Opener at Tannehill!
April 5-7 - Batson Bladesmith Symposium - Tannehill
TBA In April - Pilot School Field Trip Iron Pour
April 20 - Sucarnochee Festival - Livingston Alabama
May 3-5  - Sparks in the Dark -Tannehill

Sept 1st - Labor Day Sparks in the Dark - Sunday Night
Sept 6-8 - Alabama Forge Council - Tannehill
Oct 4-5 - Sparks in the Dark-Tannehill
Halloween Iron Pour - Tannehill -TBA
Nov 2 - Soule' Festival - Meridian MS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the rose I did for the meeting this month. This started out as a 1/2 inch x 18 Inch Round stock.

Took about 10 different operations to get it into the rose. The length before it was rolled up was 34 inches.

The project time on this rose was about 3 hours.

We are doing a lot of good projects this year, so come on out and attend if you can !!!

post-14791-0-05866700-1369008035_thumb.j

post-14791-0-08469800-1369008051_thumb.j

post-14791-0-23884800-1369008064_thumb.j

post-14791-0-06561500-1369008076_thumb.j

post-14791-0-06438800-1369008104_thumb.j

Welcome aboard Mark, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header we'll stop having to bug you about it.

05/25/13 The Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths will be having a clinic by Gordon Williams. The last weeked of June, the 29th I believe is Art On Fire put on by The Valley Arts Council, dedicated to art forms requiring fire. The Association will have blacksmiths raising a din, there will be glass blowers, Raku pottery, various and sundry other fire arts, dancing and who knows what. The main event will be an iron pour ram rodded by our own Pat Garley. There's nothing like being there when folk do the dance with a hundred lbs. of molten iron.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

Hello all. I'm new to smithing. So new that I haven't even swung a hammer yet. Getting information so that I can get started. I was planning on attending the Aug. 11 meeting at Tannehill to check things out. Any problem with someone so new attending?

Josh

I am not with the group bit run away the smoke has evil powers that draws you in till all your free time is taken up pounding. Seriously this sounds like a great event and it would lead to contacts in you area to gain tools and skills.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...