I Forge Iron

What's it worth?

Not sure if it will fly but I could use some perspective on pricing items I have made. I am not trying to sell theses items here, I'm just looking for some feedback. I could tell you specifics about hours invested, material cost or "perceived value" but a prospective customer will most likely not have this information.

Not trying to load Glen up with extra work either but I think a place where you could ask about tools, projects, material or services would be a great asset to the group.

Thanks in advance for your monetary classification!

Skull=

Big darn leaf=

Candle holders=

post-2769-0-94543000-1360672058_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-40601000-1360672169_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-78717200-1360672219_thumb.jp

My opinion only Skull $20 to $40 I would not personally like this item but it might be popular.  A nice hefty size for a paperweight and skillfully styled.  Candleholders $20 each lots of competition here but the market is large and these are different enough IMO.

I do not see who would buy the Big Darn Leaf.  It has no practical use and is not refined enough to sell as sculpture even the gift store kind.  I think you could bring it to that level though... just judging from this one as it sits now.  What about a solid steel frying pan of similar shape and forged origin?  With maybe a giant press formed dishing step added? 

I think the leaf is great it is refined enough for the looker/buyer to see the leaf they want to see. It is a sculpture, I would say modern. What is the size how long did it take to do? That will help determinen the price. $20 would be a starting point.

Dillon,

I think the things you are showing are pretty cool, that said, IF you can find the right buyer they will like it and buy it. With the stuff I make 99% of the people who look have no interest, or are interested if I price it at yard sale prices. Tthe ones who are interested will buy without a second thought. From experience, how much you can sell for depends on where you display, and the crowd that shows up. Set up at yard sales and you will get yard sale prices, set up at craft fairs and shows and you get better prices, one of the problems with big craft shows is entry fees get higher the bigger the show is..

I do most of my stuff out of horseshoes and trail rides and a few small horse shows have usually proven to be good places to set up, most let me set up for nothing, or a donated prize for an auction.

I don't change my prices depending on location, I know how much work I put into a piece and ask a fair price.

Mark

Thanks for the responses! I hoped the leaves on the ground would give you the idea of scale of the leaf, about 20lbs. 16" long 1" thick. This work could be purchased in a gallery, ebay, craft show, kick start, etc. and would probably change the numbers a bit but I was hoping for more of a gut reaction. A high low is helpful as well, thanks again.

I never know how to price blacksmith work.  I try to establish an hourly rate for smith work that covers the cost of overhead and some profit.  Then add in the material cost and voilà nobody is going to pay that price.

So I have a problem setting prices.  If it is commissioned work you can ask for what you want and hope the client agrees. 
But to produce work for general sale is something I never get correct.  Usually, I’m selling at way below what I think it’s worth.

Michael, If I was selling to my clientele, these are the prices I would place on them (not knowing what your overhead is on them).

The high - low is touch arbitrary but sometimes you need to move up and down the range based on venue.

Skull = 75.00 - 150.00 

Leaf = 50.00 - 125.00

Candle Holders = 50.00 - 100.00

you have to figure out what your market will bare. metal, fuel cost, and time. the thing I look at when making stuff to sell people that go to events they carry $5,$10,and$ 20's most Atm only dispence in $20's keep your incorments that make them feel like they got a good deal and makes you money. It is surprising how many big job's will come from a $5.00 hook.   

I like that work..

The skull, novelity item, there's thought and a bit of work gone into that piece. Price, not sure guys how the dollar is trading but I'll go with good old Irish €'s....say, €50/60ea

The leaf, yeah another nice piece, as it stands, say €50/60..now in my opinion, strike an impression in the centre of that leaf and sit a candle in it, put another €20 on the price...it's now a functional item, make it pay with the least amount of work

The candle holder, oh that's nice, very nice. Simple design, the twist alone sells it for such a large solid, value, say €50/60 each...(another in my opinion moment) make some kind of candle holder that can say hold 4, 5 of the above pieces and give it some size & presence, now put €200/250 on the price for the complete unit. Again, give it every chance at sale, it may encourage the sale of the single items even more

Hope you sell loads.   

Thanks for your direct replies to the above pictured work, it is also helpful to hear your thoughts as to the variables that may come into play.

Here is one you may be familiar with "Avian" Forged iron and bronze, 5'h 3'w 2'd, one horizontal wind or human powered movement. The work has been limitedly displayed and was produced by a somewhat known artist B)

The venue will be The American Craft show with an expected crowd of over 7000 during the weekend. It is a juried show and there is admission price to view the work of a couple hundred artist. 

The work is not recent but speaks well of my current work. I also think there will be opportunity for galleries or designers that will want to see a retail price but I hope not to scare off interest in commissions from individuals?

post-2769-0-34600300-1360691081_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-74155500-1360691095_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-93473600-1360691109_thumb.jp

A very good friend of mine who is a succesful artist put to me this way with scuplture. Lets say you have a piece that took you 6 weeks to complete. You also feel you value your time and your goal for your studio income is $100,000 a year.  Your piece should be worth $11,500.

Bronze sculpture seems to do well here in Utah, my neighbor where I rent shop space creates as well as restores a lot of bronze sculpture. Occasionally I get work from a few other bronze guys and we all talk shop. I'll bet Avian would fetch 10 to 15 grand. During arts festival in Park City I'll bet it would sell for 15 to 20 grand. The venue you mention sounds promising, people who are willing to pay an entrance fee should be more familiar with pricing and process.

They are worthless junk, not good for anything... Scrap really (Ok, the candle holders have some use but no more than a $3 set from the Goodwill)    

What you are selling is the emotion attached to them and that emotion is directly proportionate to the level of skill and quality that radiates from it.    Its worth as much as the the feeling you can evoke from the buyer.   it might be $20 for some and $2000 for another and the circumstances you present it in can make all the difference...  

Thats what art is... it is useless junk that makes you feel strongly enough to part with your money because you like that feeling and want to hold on to it.

You can never ask too much but its easy to ask too little.  Often its better to ask three times what you think its worth and expect to get it... 

Thanks all, you have been really helpful with your generous estimates, especially you Larry! People place far to much value on those little pieces of paper today, raw material should fetch more in scrap IMO. I agree at some point I have to let go of my emotional attachment "value" of the work and trade it away for something I feel is of equal worth, which is more difficult for some work. I built a couple small sculptures that are memorials to my parents not long ago and have no way to set a price on them as objects. I have also been in the business long enough to have a fleeting love affair for most of the work and am more excited about future projects. We'll see were it goes I suppose, I am really looking forward to feedback from the public, even if nothing sells.

Michael I know a little about that venue and of the incredible costs of bronze cast sculptures!  Small desk top bronzes sell for thousands of dollars!  This is a very polished and attractive piece IMO.   I think pricing of anything less than 35k to 50k will only invite scorn in that atmosphere... I might be somewhat (or a HELLUVA LOT) low on those figures!  How much does it weigh?  Personally, I have never seen a bronze casting that I liked as well as this piece and that includes some beautiful and inspiring works by Henry Moore (one of my personal favorite sculptors)!  How much would Henry Moore charge for such a piece?  This is NOT comparable to the minor pieces that you started this thread with!!!  Really I think if you put a price of 128k plus delivery on it someone might snap it up as an astonishing bargain!  I think that would be a pretty justifiable attitude too!