I Forge Iron

Spheres

I'm new to this game and I don't doubt this task is beyond my abilities but my friend has asked me if I can make him a sphere.  Other than welding a couple of ladles together is there a way this can be acheived?  

I do not think you can beat on unsupported metal and expect to get any satisfaction.

Example...metal is supported by the anvil when you strike from top.

Contradiction...tinworking technique: hammer half the sphere (flat stock) into a spherical depression (support) OR hammer half a sphere (flat stock) over top of spherical anvil object (support)

Funny thing about this example was a guy near here that made cylinder ends for large tanks...say 8 or 10 feet in diameter. Started in morning everyday with nothing but a big hammer and a tree stump. At the end of the day was a half sphere ready to be torch trimmed for a tank.

Carry on

I watched Russ Swider forge a hollow sphere out of 1/4" x ? plate and turn it into a container for a kerosine light. Very cool. This was in the mid 80's. I believe he sunk it into a swedge block and then upset the top edges as he rolled it into a ball. Seems it ended up around 2-3" dia. Maby some old SWABA guys might remember as well
anvil

Actually, you CAN form a sphere from plate, without a Swage or Dome Anvil.

Use the cover of a Baseball or Softball as a template, ... and use a ring to form the halves into double ended "spoons".

When the halves are close to the correct shape, you mesh them together, and twist the halves until they "pop" into place.

Then it's just a matter of tweaking the joints shut.