I Forge Iron

What is the one tool you would make again?

Glenn

Have to admit that I've grown rather partial to the spring-loaded hold down I made the other day.  Works a lot better than the chain-type I had used in the past.

The good news is that since it's sized for my large anvil, I get the opportunity to make another one for my smaller anvil!!    :D

IMG_0838_zps09abf27a.jpg

IMG_0835_zps06911d22.jpg

this is a support that I made for my leg vice it comes in very handy when upsetting metal it has an adjustable table that slides up and down and held in position with a pin. With the table set at the right height and you steel clamped in the vice it is great for upsetting and riveting. I watched a demo with Dennis Miller he was using a screw leg stand but it was very complicated to adjust so this was my solution

post-3564-0-15922300-1358435622_thumb.jp  post-3564-0-16344500-1358435653_thumb.jp

My blacksmith helper. Made it on the fly a year ago at a demonstration at Starr Homeplace. Use it at the forge, anvil and both vise's . Bring it to all demos now and sometimes use it in the wood working shop. The top rotates 360 on a loose rivet style joint and it adjust up and down from about 24" to 40". The sliding pieces are held in place and guided with collar style straps. The bottom one riveted tight / stationary, the top one riveted loose. I adjust the height then tap down on the top collar and it stays in place, tap up on the collar and it will slide again.
Not very artistic but works great and I needed it quick. I have loaded it pretty heavy and it has never slipped on me yet.

post-24214-0-72768900-1358652116_thumb.j