I Forge Iron

What's the best bottom fuller and a hardy, or

For what?

A fuller is for spreading and a hardie is usually for cutting, they are seperate tools and fullers usually come in pairs, a top tool and a bottom tool that mounts in the hardie hole.

Are you going for versatility or purpose?

A top tool is more precise because you can see exactly where you are putting it.  But it's a third hand deal, you need a striker or to drop your tongs and hold the top tool while hitting.  A bottom tool is held in place by the anvil so you can hold and hit by yourself.  Trickier to be accurate because the stock is between the tool and your eyeball.  

Both have their place, that's why you see both used frequently.

Just to clear things up a bit I ment top versus bottom I'm not asking about hardy versus fuller that's ridicilous since their different tools.

- David

You know and I know they are different tools, but newcomers may not, so, best to clarify the situation,

are you thinking seperate handled/rodded chisel and fullers for top tools, or a hand held chisel, and a fullering pein on a hammer?

Each has their own place in the blacksmiths arsenal, and  are useful in different circumstances, a lot comes down to personal preferances

There is no "best" tool in general That is why there are so many different tools to choose from ! The best tool is the one that gets the job done correctly and depending on the smith and his personal approach to solving the problem may not be the tool that someone else would use.

Along with the situation, the materials heat at the time of impact, the blows being struck, sizes of tooling, and the person using the tool, experience helps, all are integrated,

At the end of the day its the smith's decision. as to what is best for them, even when advised, the advice can be ignored or doubted.