I Forge Iron

my first hatchet/camp axe

This is my first try at a large sharp objec also my first drifting.

I used a railway spike, upset the shaft, drifted then shaped, used a super quench due to probable low carbon content seemed to harden good enough for a hatchet . Handle is red gum

Let me know what you think....

Cheerspost-22040-0-54512500-1357991499_thumb.jpost-22040-0-89388700-1357991547_thumb.jpost-22040-0-26558400-1357991571_thumb.j

Thanks edge yeah it's offset a bit it was my first go at drifting ,first had to make a drift then trying to use it on my rail track anvil with no hardie hole to drift it through was a pain but I got there, I can't wait till I get a proper anvil I feel like this ones holdin me back a bit but it will have to do for now.

Have a cutting torch? Turn your rail and your frown (towards your anvil) upside down and blow a drift, pritchel, or hardie hole through the bottom. Plenty of room on the bottom flange to clear the top of the rail and still have some holding material.  

A couple of parallel flats of metal or other even stock on harder ground or hardwood log (drill a clearance hole either with a complete pass through for the drift or window under) will also work for backing up your drift. 

The hardwood job is best outside and might or might not benefit from a good soaking in water depending on wood. Steam can hinder more than smoke sometimes. 

I don't have a torch unfortunately but it's a good idea ,I have it mounted on a stump at the moment and I have a small crane rail standing upright fixed in next to the train rail I have ground one side of the rail foot for a fuller and the other side for a hot cut point that has helped speed up production alot I will look into your ideas cheers for your time wroughton

That is  a great first try,you picked a hard project...the most important part is getting the slit true...you can remedy the offset eye by cooling the side that's out too far then redrift.you did a nice job getting the blade wide enough,so I guess you upset the end enough.(5/8"material ain't much)..keep on hammerin!!