I Forge Iron

Vice leg support

Razzputin

Does a leg vice have to have a plate under its foot to support it or can it just be put on the ground? If it does need a plate to support it what would an ideal size be?

I am mounting my vice on a gum pole cemented into the floor and need to know if I should cement the plate in as well.

I recommend a plate so that forging force is distributed into a larger area. Otherwise you can drive the post deeper into the ground or chip/crack your concreat floor. I use a 6X6 inch square plate 1" thick to accomodate the post on a typical vice.
I hope this helps you.....

You do need something to absorb the shock on the leg and not transfer it to the mounting bracket.

For my portable vise I use an old hand  tamper plate about 8" square.  For my heavy duty shop postvise I have an old grader blade that is about 18" wide and 4' long and has nice sized holes in it to fit the vise leg acorn.

The "Ideal" one would be a slab of nickle steel about 20'x20' and 6 inches thick; though some will claim that 60'x60' is better...

Generally folks use whatever they have on hand in their scrap pile

Here it is!! all set up and ready to be concreted in.

406100_188997747909212_870387602_n.jpg

This is to show the size of this vice.

270232_188997054575948_490986817_n.jpg

And here is the plot of land I cleared out today. (My brother in the background)

23716_188996747909312_1653541485_n.jpg

Another of my brother. This is about as much work as he did the whole time he was "helping" me 

293691_188996464576007_1334232346_n.jpg

Ha ha, this soil has no clay in it at all, just soil and a ton of rocks that are harder than hulks forehead. Had to beat them into submission with a steel pipe and a 9lb sledge to get the hole deep enough. The poles I have used are treated with special sealants so will last in excess of 50 years at leas before they start to deteriorate. Also I will be coating them in motor oil from time to time.