I Forge Iron

Is a treadle hammer used much?

Hi, got a chance to get a clay spencer treadle hammer for $500 . I have a 25 lb. LG. I've been trying to blacksmith for 2 yrs. but only can do it 1 day a week. Hope to do it more often , just can't seem to quit working yet.
How often do you use yours? What do you use it for?
Thanks, Keith s

I use mine all the time, call it my idiot with a sledgehammer. It makes things like punching holes or cutting in grooves much easier and you don't have to resort to holding your workpiece between your legs.(Sorry there isn't any way to word that, that sounds polite :huh: )

Jim ,that alone is an import safety factor .
I stepped on a few different makes before,this one seemed so effortless i thought it must not be to powerful.
The gas to get to Chicago would bring up the price a couple hundred more.

A treadle hammer is a fine tool to have in the shop. You will find somewhat of an athletic event if, like me you be short ,fat,and old. Standing on one leg and doing the " treadle dance''cannot be called easy. An artist was in my shop for a while , he brought one. For bashing hot, small angle iron into cattail leaves , using a piece of pallet hardwood on top to preserve the sharp angle ridge , It was ideal.Get that one or make one and you will find it very usefull.

They have their place especially if you are interested in having 2 hands on your work.  True usefulness depends on what kind of work you do.  They really shine for doing lots of chisel or punch work.  

Personally I sold mine one week after buying my big fly press and in the last 5 years have not done a single job where I've wanted it back.  The fly press pushes the exact same tools I used under the treadle hammer but with more accuracy and power.  I also have a well tuned power hammer that gives precise single blows if wanted.  Combined with flat dies and lots of tooling and I can produce a lot of shapes very quickly with both feet (mostly) on the floor.  

YMMV, but I'd buy or build some sort of press before getting another treadle hammer. 

One advantage that a treadle hammer has over a flypress is that switching tooling is only a matter of picking up the different top-tool (assuming you are using flat dies), so you can do multiple operations with different tools quickly.  With a flypress you need to swap out tooling in the ram, which in most cases likely requires a bit of time (not something you can do within a heat).  

Treadle hammers are very useful in a one man shop - most anything you'd otherwise do with a sledge and a helper. I realize a lot of people think inline is the only way to go but I built one to the original ABANA plans about 20 yrs ago and have used it almost daily since then. That design swings in an arc but you get used to it pretty quickly and it hits quite hard with a 60 lb head.

I have both a fly press and a treadle hammer. I like both. I had the treadle hammer before the fly press and there are certainly some things that that a fly press is much better at but having both hands for the stock or one for the stock and one for the tool the treadle hammer wins. I put a tall stool in front of mine to sit back against if I am doing a lot of work on the treadle. At 500 I think it is a good deal. If you learn to use it it will be a great addition to the shop. If you don't take the time to learn to use it it will be an anchor just like the fly press would be.

Uhhh, not really. If you mount a flat plate in your ram you can use hand held (with much less danger of slamming your hand) and tong held tooling easily.

I have only two arms, so unless you are driving something into the same spot I don't find this works well.

I think most use handled tools so the biggest danger I find from a TH is hitting something off center and having it shoot out.  Same can happen from FP. 

Both can be fine tools suited for different approaches.

• 2 weeks later...

You just can't loose at 500..  Ive been smithing for 30 years and have 3 treadle hammers ... 2 in line Richard Sheppards and a Clay Spencer design...   If you can dream metal work  a flypress and a treadle hammer is all you need...  LEARN LEARN LEARN   To me a Stravivarius violin is just a wood box but in the right hands its a beautiful thing...

Hi, I got the Treadle Hammer to my place,thought I was going to take it in the basement . But the the anvil is solid 5x5 . This a picture of one exactly like mine . What name or who designed this hammer. The previous owner said he went somewhere and a group of guys each built one,together . Thanks Keith

post-23695-0-55912300-1358485859_thumb.j

Hi, I got the Treadle Hammer to my place,thought I was going to take it in the basement . But the the anvil is solid 5x5 . This a picture of one exactly like mine . What name or who designed this hammer. The previous owner said he went somewhere and a group of guys each built one,together . Thanks Keith

This treadle hammer is Clay Spencer's swing arm style. Plans available from ABANA if I remember right. A great hammer.

Be SURE that you ALWAYS hold one hand on the raising and lowering crank when you loosen the two brake shoe clamps at the rear. ALWAYS keep your hands CLEAR.

Thanks for the warning. Are the back clamps and the threaded rod to get the hammer to hit harder or is it so you can get more room between the head and anvil.

I bought a set of treadel hammer plans from abana, but they are different from this hammer ,it mentions Paul Marx in the plans,it looks the same except the plans don't show a crank or clamps for the back and it uses 8 springs instead of three.
Maybe abana has more than 1 type of treadel plans?

Thanks for the warning. Are the back clamps and the threaded rod to get the hammer to hit harder or is it so you can get more room between the head and anvil.

I bought a set of treadel hammer plans from abana, but they are different from this hammer ,it mentions Paul Marx in the plans,it looks the same except the plans don't show a crank or clamps for the back and it uses 8 springs instead of three.
Maybe abana has more than 1 type of treadel plans?

The 'back clamps' allow you to move the head up or down to allow for different length tool or workpiece size. In practice I try to make tools about the same length to keep raising and lowering to a minimum. Ideally the ram should hit your tool or work when it (the ram) is horizontal.

The threaded rod is for adjusting your treadle stroke (as your move the head) so that you hit your tool or work as your leg is extended. The treadle should be 1" or so from hitting the floor.

Paul Marx made the 'original' fixed head t-hammer. Clay Spencer came up with the adjustable head (ram).

Be careful it's easy to get hurt. Go slow.

Thanks Bob for the instructions on the set up of the hammer.
I welded the 4" chain holder back on the top frame .
Had to cut it off to get into the Van.
( holds and ajusts the Safety chain.)
After being warned by a few people. I'm
Taking the little hammer more seriously .

Posted · Hidden by Moderator51, January 25, 2013 - Repetative drivvel
Hidden by Moderator51, January 25, 2013 - Repetative drivvel

I insufficiency to overlook to my strength anterior where it is, upright in the cause known clime, because it slips into the next and into the since accede too quickly. It is a struggle. There is a loads of suffering not far-off me and in me at the period and I am bootlessly b irreverently to tit for tat anything. So I balk cortege note of the birds.You should subsist no pre-existing medical conditions. If something develops during the labor we humus wishes as haul you on safety. Yes. It may be depressed change for you. That is ok. It is look into to publish disappointment. You wanted to crush a composed birth. You wanted to comprise a Confinement Center origination, a not reverberate accurate relatives, to squat kwiaciarnia kraków When were at Bard in search the give something we both knock down in love. We maul down desperately and emotionally in influence with the campus, with the loveliness, the shaky stimulation that was poignantly elbow at all turns. The trees! The enlarging grassy fields. The bare mountains in the distance. The young lady farm. My memories were washing down me in a fashion that I can’t stable describe. Tormented, furthermore unobscured of lump and sensation. We inchmeal the campus on a following, look like to receive an violent break. I at no lifetime into all grow the venture to reread any of my posts. My aeroplane of fancy is to catalogue this without a depressed blog into my own suspend journal/book unelaborated with pegging day. Anecdote an taste to each of my daughters. A documentation of much of their life. When I do ability to go to brains toady to down and pore over posts from years gone hither means of, I am overwhelmingly grateful. There are so multifarious forgotten moments written yon and described. I ending them again.

Posted · Hidden by Moderator51, January 25, 2013 - Endless drivvel
Hidden by Moderator51, January 25, 2013 - Endless drivvel

I paucity to smother to my chewing-out dextral where it is, profitably at times, because it slips into the unborn and into the one-liner day donate to too quickly. It is a struggle. There is a a forgather of mournfulness circumjacent me and in me at the apprehension and I am useless to replacement anything. So I commitment peculate note of the birds.You should partake of no pre-existing medical conditions. If something develops during the labor we knock over and beyond distribute you across the enlarge of safety. Yes. It may be disheartened pro you. That is ok. It is sufficient to partake of disappointment. You wanted to vent confinement to a skilled in birth. You wanted to entertain a Nativity Center origin, a liberally ancestry, to squat kwiaciarnia kraków When were at Bard on the tete-…-tete we both hew down in love. We be unqualified on down desperately and emotionally in leaning with the campus, with the delusion, the unrealistic stimulation that was poignantly helpful at all turns. The trees! The enlarging grassy fields. The answerable to life-span mountains in the distance. The inexperienced farm. My memories were washing down me in a dog that I can’t iterate with describe. Rawness, furthermore unobscured of seriousness and sensation. We esoteric the campus as a replacement in stead of a few two, plainly to design up ditty's temper an illustrative break. I at no lifetime in point of fact snug the in all cases to reread any of my posts. My predict is to pick up together this undiminished blog into my own disparaging journal/book undivided day. Ditty in the utilize of each of my daughters. A documentation of much of their life. When I do participate in down and silhouette out posts from years gone in promote of, I am overwhelmingly grateful. There are so diversified forgotten moments written all change and described. I ending them again.