I Forge Iron

Wish me luck!

Hello everyone! I have not yet posted an intro, as I am at this point, only a wanna-be.. I have been searching for a couple months now for a good anvil and tomorrow I might be scoring one for $100. Someone else has first dibs but that person is out of state, so I may get it anyway. All the owner knows about it is that it's roughly 100lbs and is probably over 100 years old by his best guess.

Check out the picture, and if anyone has any guesses as to the brand, etc, please chime in. Also, wish me luck on getting it! :)

2599.attach

Thanks for the good luck, guys! I am now the proud owner of that lovely anvil! Great guesses as to the brand, as it is a Trenton. All I can make out of the logo is ENTO and part of the N, inside a diamond shape on the back side of the body (waist?).

On the foot under the horn are some numbers.

100^ 10047 7

is what it looks like to me. The ^ might possibly be an A, but looks almost just like a ^

the 4 could also be a 9

Anyone have any idea what year it might have been made? Or whether it is a german or american made Trenton?

On the underside of the foot, there is an oval/jelly bean shaped impression.

I haven't yet weighed it, but I am assuming it is 100lbs.. Unless the 100 in the bottom left means 112lbs?

After a little work with a wire brush, I see that it has seen some use.. Minor hammer impressions on the face & horn, with a few chisel gouges on the horn.. Edges of the face are in excellent shape with 1 or 2 very minor chips.. Hardy hole measures exactly 7/8" one way, but measuring across the other way, it looks to be a slight tad under 7/8".. Kind of odd if you ask me....

All in all, I am extremely happy with my first anvil purchase! From the prices I have seen anvils go for, $1 a lb for a REAL anvil makes me very happy. Can't wait to start learning some basic forging techniques.. Now I just need to get myself a cross peen, and a forge....

BTW, if anyone is interested, I found this through craigslist.org.. About 2 months of doing a search for "anvil" every single day finally paid off.

I got my 104 lb PW from a 2 year long ebay search for Anvil within 50 miles of my zip code. Didn't get it for a $1 a lb though, more like $2.70 a lb. Reasonable for a west coast anvil I could drive to get at lunch.

On the foot under the horn are some numbers.

100^ 10047 7

is what it looks like to me. The ^ might possibly be an A, but looks almost just like a ^

the 4 could also be a 9

Anyone have any idea what year it might have been made? Or whether it is a german or american made Trenton?

On the underside of the foot, there is an oval/jelly bean shaped impression.

I haven't yet weighed it, but I am assuming it is 100lbs.. Unless the 100 in the bottom left means 112lbs?

According to Anvils in America serial number 100477 would have been made in 1911. The 100 on the left front foot should be the weight marking in pounds. It would be one of the American made Trentons.