I Forge Iron

Oak burl

We were cutting wood for the fireplace and I had to do a double take when I found a good sized burl on a log. I haven't cut it up yet but it looks like some interesting grain patterns in there. So my question is whether or not anyone has experience using the stuff for a handle, either slab or block?

post-26226-0-41436300-1356061056_thumb.j
post-26226-0-70861200-1356061093_thumb.j

Most  burl (Oak especially) will crack as it shrinks due to drying. I`d put it in a plastic bag, seal it and put it in a cool spot, out of the sun and heat until you decide what you want to do and how you want to do it.
Check the bag every other day and turn the bag inside out then seal it again. Keep doing this till the bag isn`t noticeable wet inside. then move to a double layer of paper bags and store it in a closet.

I`ve seen some really nice burl ruined by folks who were too impatient to dry the wood properly.

I went ahead with the bag method and have it in a compressed two gallon ziplock in a dark corner of the shop. With it finally turning colder (below 75*) down south, it shouldn't get too hot.

Which leads to the next step. Anyone have a good home process to stabilize this bad boy? I keep seeing the minwax wood hardener, but anything else that has good results?

keeping it in a sealed ziploc really wont let it dry out will it?

I'd wrap it in 5 or so layers of newspaper and then put that in a few paper bags.  That should seal it enough to slow the drying (compared to no wrapping) but still allow it to dry out.

Chem stabilizing Im not familiar with.  

Using a plastic bag works so long as you turn the bag inside out daily.  Turning the bag allows moisture to escape (early on it may condense on the inside of the bag which becomes the outside).  If you don't turn the bag often enough, the wood can spalt (start to mold).

Personally I coat any endgrain in carpenter glue, that has worked best for me.

ron

I use Acryloid B 72 diluted in acetone kept under vacuum for 2-3 days, cycling several times a day. Acryloid B 72 is used by museums for permanence. After several days under vacuum, the penetration is complete. Then I allow a week+ for drying time. That time can be decreased up by heating to 150 deg and soaking for an hour +.

The cost is reasonable, and all that is needed is an old pressure cooker and an auto vacuum pump + some plumbing.

The alternative is to spend $100+ for a gallon of "cactus juice" and do the same process.

John