I Forge Iron

Grandfather's Vise

Jon Smith

I finally got my hands on a good leg vise, and, better yet, it's a piece of my childhood. I can remember cracking pecans in this thing when I was little (I could kick myself now knowing what I do).

It was mounted for many years outside on the post of a lean-to shed and as far as I know, no one in the family before me even had any interest, much less experience, in smithing, so I have no clue where it came from or how it got there. The shed was torn down two years ago at the death of my grandmother and I finally tracked down the vise through my cousin who bought the house, and I am proud to have started restoring it. Oddly enough, there was enough dirt and crud in the threads of the screw that they are in almost perfect condition and the piece is now a proud part of my shop.

It weighs about 45 lbs, and has 4" jaws. Anyone know how much it would be worth?

post-26226-0-04409900-1355800580_thumb.j

post-26226-0-16953500-1355800559_thumb.j

post-26226-0-53937300-1355800595_thumb.j

post-26226-0-57683900-1355800610_thumb.j

post-26226-0-53259600-1355800630_thumb.j

Great find even if it is missing the spring, mounting plate, gib key and wedge.  All of which are very easy to make and good practice for a fledgling smith.

Value?  Hard to say.  It doesn't look very old, to my eye, but I could be wrong.  Any markings on it?  Are you going to strip the paint off?

That it's got some family history makes it priceless to me.  I'd be really proud to have some of my grand-dad's tools....

I knew about the mounting plate and was going to make a new one, and I've started stripping the paint, but I don't want to go so far as to blast it, so it's slow going. Haven't found any markings on it yet, but again it was outside for at least 49 years (it was there when my dad was a boy)
Didn't realize I was missing the other parts though. I'm guessing the spring would be to close the jaws? And what's a gib key?

Looks rather like a Columbian from Cleveland OH with the unfaceted legs. A good working vise.

Last Quad-State I was at they were going at around US$75 for a 4" vise though missing a mounting plate and spring drops it a bit.

Don't know what they go for where you are at; but out here with a mounting plate and spring made for it it would go for around $100.

Just your memories and the family connection should make it *priceless* though.

Your welcome Jon.  I realized the picture doesn't show it but the keeper has a taper to match the wedge and I believe they should be flipped.  Didn't realize it when I took the picture.  Had been taking it apart and putting it back together many times. The taper makes it easier to release the wedge especially when it doesn't protrude enough for an easy hammer blow on the wedge itself.  This also keeps it from wearing unevenly and cocking it to one side.  

Good luck.

Yes one of the funny things about steel is that it pretty much has the same spring constant no matter what the alloy and so as long as you have it work in the area where it doesn't take a permanent set mild will do and is a lot easier to forge and finagle---kind of nice being able to take the spring out and whomp it cold to change the shape just slightly.

OK I'll get out my nano-furlong scale and check some of mine---as that's a stout vise you may want to be on the thicker end of 4" vise springs. OTOH I like a spring that is just strong enough and no more as it makes it a lot easier to close the vise using my knee to work the handle.

Where I work I have run into giga-parsec measurements....