I Forge Iron

Hey!

Weltall

A friend of my grandfather gave me an anvil, forge, and drill press. He said he use to forge knives before he got to old to swing a hammer, and decided I could make better use of the things than he.
I'll post some pictures soon, its all rather old, and it all needs some TLC.

My background:
US Army Iraq Veteran, I plan on beating metal to help me with PTSD. I literally have everything to learn, and no-one to learn from.
Cheers!

Alright. So if any of you looked at that link, assuming it worked, you'll notice the state its all in... The anvil was never the best to begin with, but I won't complain about free. The forge needs rebuilt, and the drill press needs to be oiled and broke free. The old man said he has the tools and other stuff as well, he just needs to find it all.

Once I do have everything, I'll need to fix whats broken, replace what isn't any good, and figure out if I can use the anvil as is. If it is worth fixing, awesome. If not, I can sell it to some sucker here in town as art.

Howdy back at you!. I live near Socorro NM and get down to Las Cruces to see my parents every now and then and also down to Deming/Columbus/Palomas for dental work when I have to.

The New Mexico ABANA Affiliate is SWABA (South West Artist Blacksmith Association) http://www.swaba-abana-chapter.org ; we have a southern group mainly around Las Cruces with a bunch of nice talented folk in it. Jose, "Pep", Gomez and Ben Lobue are good contact people. (member's list: http://www.swaba-abana-chapter.org/?page_id=24 )

I've been looking for a job down by Silver City; but no luck so far, may end up in Raton or NW AR!

Welcome home Brother and thank you for your service. I have found forging to be theraputic having suffered a little. BUT seek help from the VA and others if you find it closing in.

Ptree from S. Indiana, who  a long time ago once wore a few stripes.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

On to my first real question. I know that reading is no substitute for experience, but that studying the works of others who DO possess that experience is nothing but beneficial. That being said, I would welcome all of your suggestions on what to read. I know I won't be doing any kind of work this winter, but I still want to learn.
So, what books do you all recommend? What books should I use to start fires with?

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. One of the things I find about blacksmithing that helps on bad days is. The steel don't care, you can destroy it but you can't hurt it so there's no point in taking anything out on it. However I can't get a fire right unless I make it right and it doesn't care either. What works is control and I can't control anything else until I control myself. It's a great depressurizer so I leave everything but getting right and I do.

Ah, so much for my therapeutic aspects of blacksmithing ramble. It's good in a meditative sort of way and nothing is more therapeutic than making something that other folk want to give you money for. You bet it's addictive, playing with fire and beating the stuffins out of poor innocent steel/iron is, in spades.

I can't think of many book titles dealing with what you're asking though most do to some degree or another. "The Art Of Blacksmithing" by Alex Bealer goes through the equipment list fairly well and a number of techniques but he was more a historian than practicing blacksmith so some details are . . . disputed. "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" by Alexander Wygers is a great resource for making do especially getting up and running.

ah drats, I can't remember any others right now. As soon as I hit send, sure but not now. <sigh> ragardless, while reading is invaluable nothing beats hooking up with someone willing to show you. One hour with someone who knows what they're doing save you maybe months of trying to figure it out yourself.

Of course, asking us is an option, we'll answer what we can even if we have to make stuff up. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.