I Forge Iron

Grand-dad's, Dad's, my Mouse Hole

It was with a heavy heart that this one "followed me home". It belonged to my great-grandad but Dad had it as long as I can remember (I'm 54). So far as I know, neither my father nor grandfather used it although great-grandad was a smith. When I started smithing, Dad told me to take it but I had another anvil I was using and just never got around to it. Sadly, Dad passed away November 13th. Mom insisted I take it home. I finally got around to taking a good look at it this morning. Using the markings on the anvil and a little 'net research I have determined it to be a Mouse Hole from the 1820-1835 period. I feel really blessed to have this piece of family history.
B5DA908D-0008-4787-A60B-0E0B01DAB8E5-100

Thanks for looking... Bart

Thoughts and prayers out to your family for the loss of your father. 

However, using the anvil to create new memories is a great way for you to move forward - think of them with each hammer blow and make them proud!  I have one of my great-great granddad's anvil and it was used by my great-grandad and granddad as well (Dad moved away before he used it).....but I'm making memories with it and think of my ancestors as I do!

Sorry to hear about your dad, one thing that is "FOR SURE", He is watching. Whenever you are using it, there will be three old guys peering over your shoulder helping you!!!  He wanted you to make use of it, to treat it like his granddad did. It takes more than one lifetime to wear out an Anvil!!

If you don't have any stories about your Great Granddad, you do now. You have a "Great Anvil!!  Priceless!!!

Carve some whiskers in the anvil stump, The Great Anvil!! ;)

Neil

Sorry to hear about your dad, one thing that is "FOR SURE", He is watching. Whenever you are using it, there will be three old guys peering over your shoulder helping you!!!  He wanted you to make use of it, to treat it like his granddad did. It takes more than one lifetime to wear out an Anvil!!

If you don't have any stories about your Great Granddad, you do now. You have a "Great Anvil!!  Priceless!!!

Carve some whiskers in the anvil stump, The Great Anvil!! ;)

Neil