I Forge Iron

Dad's old anvil

Hi! I'm new to this and I'm a girl...so please excuse my lack of knowledge. My dad passed away a few years ago and while sorting through his things I've found an old anvil. After reading through this forum, I tried to identify it, but I'm still at a loss. The lettering is very hard to read. I think it says "Paragon" on the side. It also says "1962" and "192"? Maybe the last number is a 2. I don't have a pic right now, too dark for my phone, but I was looking for any information any one might have. Thanks.

According to Anvils in America Paragon anvils were made by Soderfors. It is a Swedish anvil made of one piece of cast steel. The 192 may be the weight of the anvil in pounds, the 1962 is a mystery with the info I have here. Mr Postman reports that they were imported up until WW II so that could not be the date of manufacture.

Note that gender has little to do with blacksmithing the President of the Artist Blacksmith Association of North America has been a female smith before and I've read references to medieval guild rules stating that a woman could only work in the shop of her Father, Brother or Husband; so we pretty well know that they were working as smiths and were cases of them doing so *outside* of the stated rules. (Else why was a rule needed...)

Any way it's a great anvil, should ring like a bell if not fastened down well and serve you or your descendents well for many many years!

Location, location, location. Some places are anvil-poor and even the gnarliest hunks of iron go for a premium. Other places, not so much.

Personally, from what I can see in the photo, it looks like a decent condition and is a decent size.... so I wouldn't feel bad if I paid $2/lb for it.

Of course, that's not the best picture in the world and the details will make or break a sale.

As it is your Dad's, I am sure you Dad spent many hours working at/on that anvil. Before you do anything else, build a fire and try hammering some hot iron on the anvil. Look under FORGES for information on building a solid fuel forge for under $20.

There are several girls on the site blacksmithing, some as young as 8 years old, so you CAN do it. Anvils can be used for copper, brass, tin, silver, etc and you can make anything that you can imagine with your mind. If you are unsure as to how to start, talk to the folks here and they will be glad to assist you. Look up a blacksmithing group near you and go to some of the meetings. You will find helpful folks there also.

We have over 26,000 members on IForgeIron so if you decide to sell the anvil please consider listing it in the tailgating (buy and sell sections) of this site. Before you offer the anvil for sale, wire brush the dust and crud off and wipe it down with some Automatic Transmission Fluid. It will increase the value with only a little effort on your part. A blacksmith can see through dust and crud. But a clean and oiled anvil will shine, so watch for the twinkle in their eyes when they see the anvil. That twinkle will open the purse strings a bit wider. (grin)

If you add your location to your profile we can suggest things local to you and better answer your questions.

I am sure my dad did work with it. He owned a welding shop. Also, we live in the Texas Panhandle. I just don't see a time in the near future when I would use it, space is an issue, and he has other things with alot more sentimental value to me that I would prefer to keep. I would like to know it had a good home with someone who would appreciate it. I'm going to clean it up tomorrow and I'll post some better pictures.

Did you Weigh the anvil? The weight of an anvil, condition and location are what determine the value.It is nearly impossible to tell how much an anvil weighs by looking at pictures. I have seen anvils advertised as "Large"  or "It takes 3 or 4 men to lift" and it ends up being much smaller than what I would consider a "Large" anvil. So an accurate weight is needed to value it. A bathroom scale will work.

It is bolted to a piece of fairly thick sheet metal which is welded to a piece of pipe, which is welded to a semi truck wheel. To be honest, I don't think I can get it unbolted. So, I don't think a bathroom scale would work. That's why I just didn't weigh it in the first place. And the numbers are very hard to read, as I stated above, I think it says 192. Would it help if I measured it? I am in nursing school, and it is finals week, so I will try to get over there to measure it Wednesday. (My dad's stuff is in a semi trailer currently stored at a friend's house.) Also, I am in Amarillo.

Ok, I've had a little free time and here is what I have discovered. I did get the anvil off of the stand. There is actually a 1/4 in piece of sheet metal welded to the bottom of the anvil. The bolt holes are in the sheet metal and that was what was bolted to another 1/4 in. piece of sheet metal that was welded to the pipe for the stand. The anvil with the metal attached weighed 215 lbs. and I am assumimg this is accurate, but we did weigh it on it's edge because it wouldn't fit on the scale. It measures 28 1/4 in. from the back to the tip of the horn, 12 1/2 in. high, 8 in. horn with a 2 1/2 in piece before the top of the anvil. 10 1/4 in across the front at the base and 9 in. from foot to foot. 1 1/4 in square in the top, and a 5/8 in. hole. I'm attaching a few more pics. There is also a wilton vise with 4 in grips. The vise moves apart freely, but I couldn't turn the things on the side. It too has been welded at the bottom. (Remember, my daddy was a welder...lol) And I have a 5 gallon bucket almost 3/4 full of railroad spikes. All this being said, private message me an offer. Thanks for all of your input!post-29341-0-38397400-1355089917_thumb.jpost-29341-0-04209600-1355089948_thumb.jpost-29341-0-36213400-1355089978_thumb.jpost-29341-0-09479100-1355090017_thumb.j