I Forge Iron

2 pound hammer

FieryFurnace

Here is a little Brian Brazeal style hammer I forged under the power hammers today. I used my air hammer to punch the hole and upset the faces.
I used the tire hammer for the cheeks and trough lines.

The power hammer dies for the cheeks and trough lines are 1-inch diameter top and bottom fullers, but they are only about 1/2-inch wide. They worked good, except that the dies are too long. I need to shorten them by about 1/4-inch. You can see a bit of "chatter" on the outer edges of the trough lines as a result of the excessive die width.

I kind of like the rough cheeks, as it is a nice contrast. I have larger dies that I could have used to smooth it out with, but I kind of liked it, so I left it as is.

The hammer is currently 2 pounds, 7/8 of an ounce. However, it still needs to be ground, hardened, polished, tempered, and handled. There will be weight loss from the grinding and polishing, and a little weight gain from the handle.

This stock was 1 5/8 inch by 3 5/8 inch, 4140!
DSC08716.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the plug, but it was a PRETTY plug!
DSC08717.jpg

DSC08718.jpg

DSC08719.jpg

Nice, Dave!

And could you explain that plug thing?

Sure thing Brian! Thanks!

EGreen:
I don't have a picture of the punch right here in front of me, but I will get one later today, as well as a picture of the plug that gets punched out. Give me a bit of time, and I'll get you a detailed explination to help you understand. I'll try to have it up by this evening.

Thanks! It turned out OK, and I am pleased. It's a cute little hammer. I made a little leaf pendant with it yesterday, as soon as I got the handle in. It took more heats, more blows, and more arm strength to forge smaller material into a leaf than it does to forge larger material with my 4.5 pounder. LOL

I was only going to comment on the same fact, that it is a cute little hammer. I use a 2.5 much of the time. Leaving smiths who visit the shop scratching their heads in wonderment as to why I use such a small hammer for general smith work.

I'd use it for some smaller items. Nice looking hammer.

just got back on after posting the questions the other day.I want to say many thanks for taking the time to draw,photograph and explain
this to me/we/us. you did a good job,I can see and understand how you got the slug ut out now.thanks

Dave, did you use kiss blocks for the shoulders (troughs)?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi Aaron! No I did not use kiss blocks. You could, but with practice, you could do the trough lines on boths sides in one heat, and still just eyeball the depth. After the cheeks are forged and you go back in and planish the toughs, you can make slight depth adjustments as needed.
Maybe if you were doing a large sledge or working with a very large power hammer, it would be nice to have kiss blocks.