I Forge Iron

Need info on heat treating 4 bar bloomery/wrought iron blade.

So I'm moving into new territory on this one. I forged a saxon style 4 bar billet, consisting of a cutting edge which is bloomery steel I made a Ric Furrers smelting class, and 3 bars of wrought iron. My questions are how different is the normalization process from damascus made of 1084/15n20, and how do I go about hardening/tempering? The bloomery steel is about medium carbon steel judging by the spark trail.

Rusty

OK bloomery steel probably does not have the alloying to profit from normalization and so doing so will only result in grain growth---you did leave a piece to experiment with heat treating right? (Not all modern alloys do either---at least the ASM handbook says that S-1 should not be normalized!)

Grain refinement is most likely through recrystallization due to deformations. Or in other words *this* is where the old wives tale about "edge packing" comes from---early pretty much unalloyed steels!

It should be a shallow hardening water quench steel at mid carbon levels.

Or in other words: heat treating designed for modern alloys pretty much has squat to do with 1000 year old type steels.

If you didn't leave a sample to test your heat treat process you are kinda like jumping out of an airplane not real sure if your parachute will work.... On the other hand you can always weld up the remains and try again...

I'd strongly suggest talking with Ric to see how other examples of this ore and process have acted.

I did get in touch with Ric, he gave me the info i needed. Ive got another bar of the bloomery steel to mess around with along with a paper cup full of smaller pieces of the bloom that I'm in the process of consolidating, which will be my "test subject" to experiment on. Thanks for the info Thomas, I'm curious to see what I come up with after a few heat treating variations.