I Forge Iron

Hybrid Wakizashi-Kinda Steampunk/ Japanese Pirate

Justin Carnecchia

Well as long as I'm putting up the gyuto I'll post this one too. I posted pics of this one when I first got it polished, then it got scratched and I had to re-polish and anyway it's been a while.
19" blade forged from W-2 quenched in water, very active hamon. Heat blued wrought iron and brass fittings, with zircote handle.
post-21954-0-68551400-1352400110_thumb.j
post-21954-0-58635500-1352400198_thumb.j
post-21954-0-23202300-1352400295_thumb.j
post-21954-0-81016400-1352400387_thumb.j

Thanks for looking. -Justin

Thanks guys, my original plan was to make a saya out of the zircote that the handle was made of. It is currently for sale though, so I will probably end up selling it like it is. If it doesn't sell or the buyer expresses interest maybe I will still do it.
To get a hamon like that use W-2 and quench in water. Expect about a 50% failure rate :blink: It takes so much time polishing these that after I finally got a decent hamon I decided it wasn't worth the effort if the hamon wasn't to my liking, so I have only been quenching in water and if I don't like it I re-quench, and often crack the blade and re-forge. But hey, forging is my favorite part of the process so I don't mind that so much.
Thanks again -Justin

Great looking blade. That hamon is amazing.

I started playing with brine myself and have had very good luck with W2, 1075, but not so much luck with 1095. With w2 and 1075 I am around 3 for 3 with each type for success rate. With 1095 I am around 1 for 3 right now.

Curious what your recipe is for your brine. I have mine with about 2lbs salt for a 4 gallon bucket with a little dish soap. I warm the water to around 100f (warm to the touch) before quenching, then do the 3sec in, 3 sec out, back in till cool to the touch.