I Forge Iron

Hello all,

First i would like to say its been well relativly forever since i have posted or commented anything on here but im trying to get alittle better about that. So my main reason for posting this is to talk about a knife i plan to make for my mother as part of her christmas present. It will be made out of leaf spring and hopefully will have a bone handle with a full tang. I would of course appriciate any tips or tricks anyone has picked up on working with both materials. I will of course be posting pictures as soon as i am able. I have already roughed out the tang and plan to start forming the blade today.

Thank you for your time,
Timothy

Well i worked some on it today and this is hows it come out. I do however think it has turned into a clever of some sort and the tip did curve up to much as i didn't compensate for the bevel quite enough i guess i forgot how thick a leaf spring was. I hope you like it.

Ohh also yes i am forging in converses... probably not my best idea ever.

http://imgur.com/a/PRn8e

Tim

Now if you don't want the curve in it you heat it up to a nice high red/low orange place the spine on a flat section of the anvil and tap the edge--I do it with a hammer but some folks use a wooden mallet---or baseball bat or chunk of firewood---until the spine is flat on the anvil and the blade is straight. This really works.

Do you plan for this to be used for cooking? If so bone is not a good handle material, micarta works better for things that get washed a lot. Also pitting on the blade holds gunk NOT A GOOD IDEA FOR COOKING TOOLS!

If it's just to be a show piece then no problem.

thank you for the advice i will try the wood trick and i'm not really sure since the shape isn't what i thought it would be it probably just be a show piece. I plan to try to make one more the the original shape i had in mind and i think i will try micarta as i saw a really good tutorial on how to make it.

Thank you again for all the help
Tim